10. We're off to see the God of the Underworld

Start from the beginning

'We can do this,' I reassured my friends. 'We can get the Bolt from Hades and return it in time.'

'How are you so certain we can?' Grover asked nervously. 'Percy, you'll be going up against a god. One of the eldest gods and one of the most powerful. It would take a miracle for you to get the Bolt from Hades.'

'We just have to believe, guys,' I said with the same confidence. 'We have to. Or else the whole world would be annihilated.'

The cab descended into silence once again. The driver wisely kept his mouth shut and kept his eyes on the road.

'Do you think that's what the Kindly Ones were looking for?' Annabeth asked again. 'When they were attacking us on the bus?'

'That is the most likely option,' I answered. 'What else could he be looking for?'

Annabeth pursed her lips, 'You might be right. But didn't you mention something about a pit? You dreamt of a pit right?'

I nodded hesitantly. 

I watched helplessly as Annabeth tried her hardest to crack the mystery behind this pit. Knowing her, she would figure it out soon. That wouldn't be a good thing.

It was so subtle, I almost missed it. I wouldn't have noticed if I hadn't been looking. Annabeth's eyes widened ever so slightly as she seemed to figure out what the pit is or, rather, led to.

I tried to ignore the waves of worry and panic coming off of Annabeth as I looked out the window. Since the cab was driving at about ninety-five miles an hour, everything was a blur. I could barely read the sign that flew past us but I knew we were about to arrive at our destination soon.

The car slowed down about twenty minutes later and pulled to a stop in front of a familiar-looking building. I shook Grover awake and thanked the driver before getting out of the cab after Grover. I let the guy keep the LotusCash card and I had no time to decide whether it was a bad idea or not. 

The gold letters stood out against the black marble, making it slightly easier to read. Even with my dyslexia, I knew what those letters spelt out. The DOA Recording studios wasn't exactly easy to forget.

It was almost midnight but the lobby of the building was still brightly lit with fluorescent lights. The spirits of the dead looked solid enough but I knew better. I could see the tall and well-built figure of Charon sitting at the security desk. Although I wasn't a big fan of wearing sunglasses indoors, I had to admit he looked kind of cool.

'Okay,' I whispered to my friends as we walked into the building. 'Remember the plan.'

'The plan,' Grover gulped nervously. 'Yeah. I love the plan.'

'What happens if the plan doesn't work?' Annabeth said.

I shrugged, 'Then we improvise.'

Annabeth and Grover looked at each other before turning back to face me.

'That's not really a good idea.' they said at the same time.

'Hey, guys. Have a little faith,' I said as I placed my hand on my heart dramatically, trying to ease some tension. 'Just so you know, my improvisation skills are spot on.'

'Still not a good plan,' Annabeth said glaring at me. 'We need to think of a proper plan before-'

'Too late.' I stopped her as we approached the security desk, Charon still not paying us any attention.

Charon was just as I remembered, his chocolate-coloured skin and blond hair made him look elegant. His hair was cut in a military buzz cut and his expensive Italian suit complementing his hair well. His sunglasses obscuring his eyes from view, but I could feel them on me as we walked up to the desk.