43: Once Bitten, Twice Shy

Start from the beginning

I turned away and went in search of the birthday boy. He was here somewhere but where? I searched the bar first but he wasn't there. I groaned as I took a seat on a bar stool. This club was huge and I was in heels. There was no way I was searching the entire place. Matt was bound to show up to see his guests eventually anyway. It was best to wait for him right here.

"Do you need a drink?" A voice from behind me called out and I turned to see the bartender glancing at me with a warm smile. He was tall, dark and very cute with short, blond wavy hair. He had a boyish looking face that made him look younger than he probably was.

"Do you have anything non-intoxicating?" I asked and he seemed surprised. Was it so weird that someone ordered a non-alcoholic drink at a club? "Don't judge me."

"I'm not." He chuckled and I narrowed my eyes at him, not believing a word he said. He set down the white towel hanging over his left shoulder and rested his palms on the counter top. "After what happened the last time you got wasted, I wouldn't serve you alcohol anyway." My eyes widened as I heard what he had said.

"What?"

"You were here a couple of months ago looking to get wasted after..." He trailed off for a moment and glanced up to the ceiling. "Right after you lied to the entire state that you were engaged." He nodded as if confirming that he had remembered my words correctly.

"No!" I slapped my hands over my lips as my jaw dropped and my eyes grew wider. "I told you that?"

"Unfortunately, yes." He nodded and I grimaced. What was wrong with me? "I'm glad I cut you off that night or you would have announced it to the whole club. You were pretty loud and angry that night."

"Oh, God! I'm sorry about that. I'm so embarrassed right now." I covered my face with my palms and groaned. This was so embarrassing. This was why I promised myself I'd never drink again.

Another bartender came over to whisper something into his ear and he nodded before whispering something right back. He turned back to me once the shorter guy was gone.

"It's good to see you're alive and well." He said, gesturing me. "You passed out after trying to snatch a bottle of gin from my hands."

"I got violent?" I screamed. "What's wrong with me?"

"If your friend hadn't stopped you, things could have gotten really entertaining. You made my night honestly." He laughed and I scowled at him. He found my drunken state hilarious?

"Wait, what friend?" I asked as I recalled his statement.

"Uh, I can't remember his name but he claimed to be your fiancé. I thought he was just some drunk creep but the boss knew him."

"Who? Matthew Right?" I asked with eyebrows pulled together as I rested my elbows on the counter top.

"Yeah." He nodded. "Mr Right helped you both out of the club. Oh, yeah! His name was Derrek!" He snapped his fingers in remembrance. He had a really good memory to remember something that happened months ago.

"Really?" This was news to me. Matt knew Derrek? I never asked Derrek how I'd ended up at his house that night and he had never brought it up. My memory of the night had been really hazy and I had blacked out at some point. Some of the blank memories had been filled now, thanks to the bartender.

"Is he really your fiancé?"

"It's complicated." I sighed and he arched an eyebrow at me.

"So, you're not engaged?" He said, wiping off the drink the drunk woman beside me had just spilled on the counter. The liquid flowed over to his side of the counter.

"Why don't you pass me some vodka instead?"

"That bad?" He chuckled and I nodded, giving a heavy sigh as I buried my head in my arms.

"I'm actually thirsty though. Can I have a Virgin Mojito please?" I said, sitting back up.

"Coming right up, miss." He winked at me before proceeding to get my order.

"There you are!" I felt an arm wrap around my shoulder and I slapped the arm off before turning to see who it was. "Why are you so violent?" Matt frowned and I scowled at him in response.

"You don't just sneak up on someone like that! You're lucky I didn't punch you or kick you in the—"

"You can't do that! It's my birthday!" He cut me off and I laughed.

"Happy birthday, crazy!" I got off the stool to give him a hug and he chuckled as he wrapped his arm around me.

"This is the third time you're in my club, Tee Tee. You're becoming quite the party girl." Matt teased as he let me go and I smacked his arm playfully. "Is Vincent treating you alright?" He asked, glancing at the bartender who said a word of greeting.

"He is. He treats me better than you do." I teased, smirking up at him and he rolled his eyes.

"Come on. Let's go party." He placed his hand on the small of my back to steer me away from the bar.

"Why didn't you tell me you sent me home with a stranger the night I came here? I thought you said you weren't at the club that night. You didn't even call the next morning to see if I was still alive." I attacked and he arched an eyebrow at me.

"Stranger? Why are you both being weird?" He said and I stared at him confused. "I saw Derrek tonight. He's here with his fiancée." My eyes grew wide at his revelation.

"W-What? He's here?" I freaked out. Why was he here?

"Tiara, your fiancé showed up here with some white girl and when I asked where his fiancée is, he pointed at her." He elaborated and I gave a sigh. "What the hell is going on?"

"The universe is testing me tonight." I groaned. I promised myself I wouldn't drink tonight but if these questions kept throwing themselves at me, I was surely going to break.

********************************