the kaleidoscope secret. {part one}

"WATCH OUT FOR SATAN!"

She speedily raced towards the kitchen and practically let the entire tank fall into her hands, water splashing onto the ground. Almost instantly she whirled around, leaving the poor turtle ramming into the side of the glass, and ducked as the sword flashed above her head. She glared at the troll and managed to toss the tank back onto it's already wobbly shelf, and made a run for the living room.

"I don't mind you trying to kill me and all, but please, have some respect for the small reptiles," she advised, standing straight for a moment. She couldn't even see the person's reaction before they violently grabbed for the nearest lamp and tried to throw it directly in her face.

"Okay maybe I do mind," she grumbled dryly.

She managed to dodge the lamp swiftly, her robe flying in the air, and within moments had grabbed the troll's hair and yanked it towards the ground. He went flailing down to the floor, yelping at the pain.

She was so caught up with this strange intruder she didn't even notice the phone practically vibrating on the table in the kitchen, only the fact he had leaped to his feet again, angry. She dodged a quick punch to the face before scrambling to the front foyer of the home. He came back at her, grabbing whatever she could find to defend herself. Apparently the first object she could find was a small skull sitting on the coffee table before her. She hoisted it above her head, threateningly, and attempted to throw it back at him. He avoided the blow to the head, countering by trying to use his sword to pin her to the couch. Struggling, she pushed against the weapon and kicked him in the stomach, sending him flying back.

In a last act, she grabbed the lamp he had thrown earlier and swiftly whacked him in the back of the head, holding only the stem of it, and watched as he fell unconscious to the ground.

She shot the troll one more glare before shaking her head and reaching for his own weapon.

"Moron."

It was about now when she had finally heard the buzzing of the phone.

She groaned and promptly stepped over a small coffee table to reach it.

"Hello?"

"Do we need milk?"

***

"So the glass just... cracked?"

She rubbed her thumb over the small, but sure, hole of the glass tank. She frowned and turned back to Lilith. The turtle stared back at her from within it's broken little shelter. Possibly very traumatized. Poor Satan.

"Yes." The answer was slightly annoyed and exhausted. She sounded as though she had just woken up. Jade sighed and looked back into the living room, where Lilith Holmes was sprawled on the couch like a small child, her legs dangling over the sides. It was nearly noon and she still wore that silk robe, spilling down over the sides of the flaky old couch.

"Got any more cases for this week?" Jade asked as she set her bags down on the kitchen table. She gave the overflowing tubes of chemicals and liquid a dirty look. She wanted to ask about the small puddle of water on the floor before the tank, but decided against it.

"Nope."

"So why did the turtle nearly get a beating?"

Okay maybe she decided for it.

Lilith only now decided to glance up from her unknown universe in her mind. Her eyes rolled over to Jade, who stood in the kitchen and kept looking back and forth between the tank and her as though she was trying to figure out the puzzle for herself. She groaned.