🌻The Aftermath🌻

Start from the beginning

"Y/N, Nanami is here for you." he spoke. This snapped you out of your trance as you turned to face him.

"I'll be right up, thank you Ijichi." You spoke, pulling the plastic gown that protected your clothing from stains up and over your head.

"Hey, Y/N, it's in the bottom drawer of my desk. I'll do all the paperwork if you decide to take it." Ieiri called after you as you walked up the stairs to leave.

You gave a glance back and a weak smile as you replied, "Thank you Ieiri."

As you reached the top of the stairs, Nanami was standing by the infirmary speaking to Yuji.

"Hi, Y/N sensei!" Yuji shouted from inside the infirmary as you came into view. You gave him a happy, yet painful smile.

"Hi Yuji, are you feeling better?"

"Yeah, I'm almost good as new!" Yuji stretched his arm, rotating his shoulder.

"Come on, we should get home." Nanami spoke up, momentarily placing a hand on the small of your back as he looked at you, before walking towards the exit. You stepped up beside him, and he immediately addressed your mood. "You look upset. You can talk to me about it, if you'd like to."

"It's just been a rough day. I'm going to stop by the teachers' lounge." You spoke lowly, not wanting to make your mood apparent to the various staff buzzing about the campus. Nanami didn't respond, as it seemed like he noticed that you weren't in the mood to talk.

You stepped inside the lounge and quietly reached Ieiri's desk, sliding open the file drawer at the bottom to see a small bundle of cloth. When you picked it up, you could feel the ring inside, but it was the size of a bracelet now. You tucked the bundle into your pocket and went back to Nanami.

"What was that?" He asked, curious.

"We can talk about it later. Right now, it's just costume jewelry." You spoke briefly.

When the two of you reached Nanami's car, you grabbed onto the wrist of his sleeve with one hand. He stopped immediately, turning to look at you.

"Nanami..." You trailed off, choosing instead to step closer to him.

You held your arms up and wrapped him in a hug, burying your face in his chest.

"What's wrong?" Nanami asked, placing his hands on your back. You were much smaller than him, and his hands took up the entire width of your back.

"I think I just needed a hug." You spoke, your voice lightening as you already began to feel better. "From now on, I'm not going to stop myself from hugging you when I want to."

Nanami was confused, but gave you a simple hum in return. He certainly was not complaining about hugs from you.

You had an important realization that day, experiencing loss as a consequence of sorcery. You knew now that any day could be your last day with someone, so you shouldn't leave things for another time. If you wanted someone's company, you'd seek them out before you wouldn't be able to anymore.

"How about dinner?" Nanami asked as he rubbed your shoulders, not caring if anyone on the campus would see.

"That would be nice," You smiled into his chest.

~~~

After dinner, you and Nanami took a walk through a small park since the evening was so nice. The sky was clear and you could see a crescent moon hanging low in the sky. You remembered the cursed energy ring, and slowly brought it out of your pocket to unwrap it. The smooth stone appeared dull in the moonlight, but it caught Nanami's eye.

"Is that the same ring that we used back then?" He asked, his gaze fixated on the object.

"Mhm." You turned it in your hand, and it seemed to be a normal stone ring with nothing special about it. "Ieiri says you can bend it if cursed energy flows through it."

You tried putting your cursed energy into it as you grabbed onto the ring, twisting it. Nothing much happened at first, but it soon began to bend as you put more and more energy into the ring and twisted with more force.

"Doesn't seem like much..." You murmured, looking down at it in disappointment. It took a lot of effort to bend.

"Hmm," Nanami narrowed his eyes as he thought aloud. "What if you tried your innate skill on it?"

"I can try," You were doubtful, since the ring didn't have any cursed energy within it on its own. You closed both hands around the ring and tried to draw energy from the ring into your body. It immediately gained a dim glow. Your eyes widened with surprise as you could now stretch it and shrink it easily. When the ring stretched, its thickness remained the same, and its weight increased. When you shrunk it, the weight decreased. You were in shock. So was Nanami as he stared at you, bending and twisting the ring with ease.

You were using the ring to draw small amounts of cursed energy out of the air itself. This was something that Nanami never visibly saw, even when you were breathing cursed energy in constantly -- the energy you breathed in was so little, it was impossible for even high grade sorcerers to see. But this, this cursed ring, was drawing in magnitudes more cursed energy and any sorcerer would be able to see that. Your ability made the ring useful.

'And potentially powerful,' Nanami thought as he stared at you continuing to bend and stretch the ring as it glowed dimly like the moon in the sky.