******************

"Ah, Luke, you're just in time. I want to introduce you to Lady Soleia." Sir Mercury Castellan said as he saw his nephew come in to the original Castellan family mansion. 

Marquis Hermes Castellan, Luke's father and Mercury's older twin brother, sent his son a quelling look when he saw his son's distaste for the situation.

"It is a pleasure to meet you, Count Luke Castellan." Lady Soleia bowed, keeping her eyes lowered demurely on the floor before slyly raising them up to meet the count's blue eyes.

"Lady Soleia," the count bowed.

He was indeed quite handsome, Lady Soleia had to admit. She was pleased with his appearance, particularly when her past two husbands had been past their prime in life. She almost licked her lips at the thought of getting her hands on his body...and his fortune. Still, she could tell from his posture and eyes that he was wary of her.

No matter, Soleia was very much in her element. She knew she was quite beautiful and could play up her best assets. Men were very visual creatures, after all.

Oh, and as for that small obstacle named Baroness Kelli Chase? That flea would be easy to eliminate.

Annabeth watched the snowflakes drift outside the window and slowly blanket the gardens. Though the snow was beautiful, there was something melancholy about the weather. Perhaps because in her past life, it was around this winter that she had gotten married to Luke Castellan. Then three years later, she had lost both her newborn daughter and her life just a few days shy of the new year. Winter had become her least favorite season.

The Jackson mansion was warm and bustling, but a shiver ran down her back. One choice had been all the difference in her lives. Just one measly choice. She was grateful for whatever had given her the opportunity for the second life, so she wasn't going to waste it.

"Why have you been sighing?"

A pair of arms wrapped around her waist, pressing her back to a warm chest. Annabeth instinctively hugged those arms. She was used to the bursts of physical affection from the Duke now, though the first time he had back hugged her, Annabeth nearly flipped him over her shoulder.

"Was I sighing? I didn't realize." She answered.

Percy nuzzled the top of her head with his chin, destroying the lovely hairstyle her maids had painstakingly brushed her unruly curls in. Luke was never so affectionate with her. It was as if she was living with a male house guest instead of with her husband. Sometimes, Annabeth felt as though she was still living in some kind of weird dream. One pinch and she resolved that it wasn't a dream but real life. Else, she hoped she would never wake up.

"Perhaps you've been cooped up inside too much," Percy said. "Want to go for a walk?"

Bundled up in cloaks and furs, the pair sauntered in the gardens. Annabeth kicked at a fallen patch of snow.

"Percy, have you ever realized how much our choices determine our fate?" Annabeth asked. "I haven't realized it until now."

"Sounds like a philosophical question."

Percy never cared much for philosophy, Annabeth knew, but he was a good listener. She had found that out when she once ranted about the architectural history of the Cuora palace, and Percy had actually retained some of the information.

"Well, I've always been told I'm too reckless or rash in my childhood. I suppose I've grown to be more aware of the decisions I've made in my life. Is this you regretting your choice of entering a contract with me?" Percy asked. "I hope not."