43. Coward

I just wanted to @/ my friend ( peepehead123 ) for the inspiration of Ashers backstory. Thanks babe!

•••

"Asher."

"Hi Georgie—"

"Don't call me that."

The man frowned, nodding as he looked around hesitantly. "I see you and Fred got your shop."

"Yeah, it's a big success," George said monotonously, trying to hide how much his heart was racing.

"And you're engaged, that's amazing!" He said enthusiastically, but his smile faltered when he saw the stone look on George's face. "Erm. . . Who's the lucky guy, then?"

George tongued his cheek, looking down at the register before looking back up and muttering: "Her names Delilah."

Despite the bustling shop in their background, silence washed over them. Asher furrowed his eyebrows, "B-but I thought—"

"Oi, George, would you tend to the customers and stop talking with—" Fred paused, his world crumbling like the wall, as he realized who it was in front of him. "Oh."

Asher looked more uncomfortable than he did when he was talking to just George, and his next words seemed to come out in portions and stutters.

"Nice to. . . See you. . . Fred," he smiled kindly, but Fred was having none of that.

"Didn't I tell you what would happen the next time I saw you?" Fred quickly growled, taking steps towards him, but George held a hand out to stop him from doing anything irrational.

"Fred," he said through his teeth, "It's fine—"

"Fine?!" Fred shouted, gaining the attention from a few nosey customers. He angrily grabbed Ashers arm and pulled him around to behind the register with George. "You've got two seconds to explain why you're here."

Asher rubbed his forearm where Fred had grabbed him, "I missed the both of you on my travels—"

"Well, we didn't miss you, goodbye," Fred quickly cut him off, but George sighed an annoyed sigh.

"Fred, just let 'em talk," he whispered, gaining a disgusted look from Fred.

"Thanks, George," Asher smiled.

"Yeah whatever, go on."

"Right. . . I've gone to amazing places, but I want to settle down here, and you two were the first people I wanted to see," he said carefully. "I know our friendship ended in a bad state—"

"You were a complete twat," Fred whispered, glaring darkly into Ashers soul. "I don't care if you're sorry now, it's five years too late, and George is happy without you."

Fred grabbed onto George's arm, looking up at his sad eyes and prominent frown.

"Go," he demanded, but George was hesitant.

"Freddie I wanna talk to him. . ." he whispered, making Asher gain a hopeful look.

Fred leaned closer and whispered, "Remember the last time you talked to him? You didn't recover for months, George. Please, just go. I can't see you like that again. Not now."

George nodded, his heart twisting slightly. He wanted desperately to talk with Ash, but he knew Fred was right. George couldn't bare to hear his voice for long, he could barely look at his face, fearful he would come to tears.

"I'm sorry," George muttered to Asher before dropping his head and disappearing into the rustle of the shop.

Once George was gone, Fred turned to Asher. "If I see you in my shop again, I won't hesitate to throw a hex your way. And I seriously mean it this time. Don't come near me, don't go near George. You never deserved his heart in the first place, you're surely not getting it back now."