CHAPTER FOURTEEN ☽ + excerpt of Blood Bound

Tara stumbled up the hillocks battered by sheets of rain, passing the cliff edge for fear he would find her. She could not control her emotions. Her grip on the weather around her was gone. Wind and hail soaked her. She slipped and fell on her way up, angrily pulling at the grasses for leverage. She wanted peace, quiet and cover in the fairy fort.

Fairy forts were man-made hills constructed by her Clann in the distant past, dotting the entire island. They were small bunkers, dug out from the earth and usually topped with a hawthorn tree. Some connected with each other and formed a network of underground tunnels.

Desperately she reached the crest of the hill and tumbled into the tunnel opening, falling onto her backside. Finally allowing herself to dissolve into tears.

Her body shook, skin itchy and prickled with disgust. Shame, hot and heavy, burned her cheeks and curdled her stomach. What she discovered from Erik's men was so vile she wondered if she would ever feel okay again. If she would stop feeling sick.

Finally covered inside the earthen bunker, she felt free to wail, resting her head in her hands. This emotion had been building for months, she thought, and now it unleashed itself as she stole these few moments alone. Her sobs were breathless and snotty, face swelling at her exertion.

Erik and his... sisters, she choked at the thought. She could not believe it.

Yet she could, somehow she knew it to be true. He said he had no betrothed. She accepted that blindly, even though it made no sense. The son of a Chieftain, a good looking man, unbetrothed. She willingly believed he had no marriage plans. Oh, what a fool.

She wailed again, a new wave of pain. She had deceived her family, her Clann and her ancestors, for what? Attraction? His touch, company and attention? She had thought they were a perfect pair, following in the footsteps of Dorcha and Tailtiu. She was wrong.

Her thoughts caused another wail.

"Tara?"

She looked out of the entrance and saw her betrayer cresting the hill, windswept and red-faced. The sight of him infuriated her.

Without thought she bared her teeth, screaming: "FUCK OFF!" The curse was so satisfying, satiating her pain for a moment. It was so deserved she added a punch in the air, full of her power, knocking him in the chest and back down the hill.

Her crying paused, shocked at her strength and good aim. It felt so good.

Erik was out of sight, tumbling down the hill. Her sobs resumed, her mind's voice relaying all the things Sigtrygg revealed and the lies that left the earthshaker's mouth.

A man once shining, handsome and honest had transformed before her eyes. Tarnished by secrets uncovered. He was to marry his sister. Perhaps, he would be successful in seducing and shaming Tara with him.

It stands to reason, she thought sullenly. That a hostage of mine would play me the fool. They probably had a laugh at my expense every night, drunk on my cider. Drunk on treachery.

Her shame was deep. Perhaps she could deal with the sorrow of betrayal. The embarrassment was too much.

She cringed, unable to stop the torrent of memories shoved into focus. Her mind poured over false scenarios, imagining the laughter she afforded them as the blind rí.

Were her actions over the past three seasons like her father's reign? Blinded by sexual attraction, lusting for the forbidden? Her father who spent more time fornicating than leading?