Chapter 40 - Bed and Breakfast

Comincia dall'inizio

"Can I?" I asked, holding the hem of the slip.

She smiled and nodded. I lifted the slip over her head and felt as if I was unwrapping a very nice gift. Under it, she wore matching underwear in the same fabric. It wasn't long before our clothes lay strewn on the bed and the floor, and I got to make love to the woman who means so much to me. She seemed to enjoy herself or so I interpreted from her moans.

I had the idea that being intimate with Erin would be a wonderful experience, but what happened that night surpassed any expectations. We lay in each others arms, covered in sweat and satisfied. I felt like crying at that moment. I've been with other women before, but this was something different. It was complete trust and deep love.

The next morning, we packed our things to continue the drive to Greenwood and then headed down for breakfast. Mrs. Constance had even more food than the day before.

"Thanks, Mrs. Constance. This looks delicious! I'm only afraid that we won't be able to finish it all," Erin said.

"Well, I know you two were very busy last night," Mrs. Constance laughed. "You could use the extra calories today."

Erin and I looked at each other and I'm sure that I blushed as deeply as she did.

"This house is full of stories, has been in my family for generations. The room you were staying at was the master before we made the additions. That was my great-great-grandparents' room and they were a very fertile couple. Maybe you'll be blessed soon with a little one of your own. I hear the bell, will be right back, must be my new guests checking in," she said and left the room.

I had started to drink my coffee when she mentioned the 'little one'. I didn't choke on it, but suddenly swallowing wasn't easy.

"Matt, are you okay? You have no color on your face."

"Erin, you use contraceptive pills, right?"

"No, I haven't used them in months. Why?" As the words left her mouth, her eyes widened. "We have never talked about this. Do you want children?"

"I do. Do you?"

"Yeah, I do. I'm not sure if now is the right time."

"I should have been more careful," I felt so embarrassed at my oversight.

"It takes two. Don't blame yourself. I don't think anything will happen, but if it does, then we'll take it from there."

Erin's practical approach was all I needed to feel better. A few days later, nature had reached the end of its monthly cycle and it was clear we were not expecting. I must admit that I felt slightly disappointed, because Erin would be an incredible mom.

My studio feels almost like a foreign place when I walk inside. After being outdoors in the sun for so long, it makes me consider if I should find a different place. One with more windows, at least. The answering machine light blinks and I wonder who could it be. I keep that thing around just in case, but most people reach me on my mobile phone. The first two messages are from people trying to sell me something I don't need. I listen twice to the third message, because I can't believe what I'm hearing.

"Matthew, it is your mother. I've been trying to reach you to apologize for how things ended up. Your words made me rethink my whole life with your father, and how I've never been happy with him. The only great thing that came from our failed marriage was you. I've moved in with a friend while we sort out the next steps, but there's no other solution for us than getting a divorce. We didn't even argue when I proposed it. I guess he was as ready as I am for something different. I hope we can talk soon. Again, I'm really sorry for ruining our dinner."

Still after listening to my mother twice, I'm so surprised that they called it quits. Finally, they have realized how toxic they are for each other. Curiosity gets the best of me and I redial the last number. My mother answers on the third ring.

"Mom, it's me, Matt."

"Oh, Matthew, did you hear my message?"

"I just did. I took time off in the past two weeks. How are you doing?"

"I'm doing well, among the circumstances," she says in a calm voice, very different than her usual clipped and stressed tone. "Looking back at all the years I spent trying to keep appearances. I feel at peace now. Trying to think about what I would like to do with my life. There's so much I wanted to do when I was younger and there's still enough that I can."

"I'm glad you are looking ahead. I'm really sorry that our last meal wasn't great. I love you and I also love my father. I just don't love it when we are together."

I hear a chuckle at the other side of the line. "I understand. When do you think I can meet your fiancée? I found her Christmas presents. What a wonderful, thoughtful woman!"

"Erin is amazing. She has purple hair though," I warn her, since she probably has an idea in her head about my girlfriend.

Mom laughs and I can't remember when was the last time I heard her laughing.

"At least she's one of those who owns it. Maybe one day I'll visit her club."

"I'm sure she will love having you around. Me too. You are welcome to visit anytime."

We say our goodbyes, and for the first time, I'm looking forward to this new relationship with my mother.