Chapter 10 - Levi

Start from the beginning

I can't even be there to protect her from the MPs now when he arrives on the island.

Fuck.

I punched a hole into the next room, and sometimes I don't even know my own strength. The nervous blue eyes of Armin Arlert blink back at me through the cavity I created, and shit...

His room is next door to mine now (while the rest of the brats sleep in the lower quarters of HQ). He's somewhat become Hange's new second in command. No one could ever replace Moblit, but the kid's mind is as bright as one of those light bulbs that the Marleyans are so fond of on the other side of the sea.

The reason why I saved him.

"Um... C-Captain?" he peeps, his voice small and squeaky, and I breathe a sigh.

His voice only rises like that when he's scared. Looks like I only went and terrified the poor kid. And judging by the book in his hands too, he was enjoying a nice little bedtime read.

The title in his hands reads "Sleeping Beauty..." and I never would have pegged him for a lover of fairy tales.

He's normally a numbers and facts guy.

Unless... There's a particular sleeping beauty he has his sights on, and I close my eyes, rubbing my face. Of course, makes sense. He goes to visit her a lot in Stohess.

Sometimes I truly do forget that they're still kids. Sometimes I forget that Historia is a kid, and I've boned her...

Armin catches my gaze as it lingers on the fancy title of his book, and yelps, throwing it aside. His cheeks flush bright red. "I... I was..."

I decide not to say anything, fixing my eyes on him once. "I won't tell Hange if you won't."

His skin blanches, and all the red vanishes immediately. "T-tell Hange what? I... I swear... All I do is go down there and talk to her. I don't—"

I point at the hole. "About the hole in the wall..."

Armin stammers, looking puzzled for a second, but then his whole body delates as he releases the air from his lungs. What the hell did he think I was talking about?

"S-sure, Captain. I... I can cover it up with a portrait."

I exhale, teasing my fingers through my hair. "Thanks."

He watches me considerately. "Are you all right? You've... not been yourself since..."

The kid trials off, and it's obvious he's trying to avoid saying her name lest I burst into tears.

I dip my head. "Yeah, I'm fine, Armin. Don't concern yourself with me. I... just need some air."

Grabbing my coat, I make a move for the door, planning to walk the streets of Shiganshina—the very town where we defeated the Armoured, Beast, and Colossal Titans.

Where Erwin lost his fight.

It seemed fitting we set up our base here. It's where we redeemed ourselves after our many years of disgrace. It's also Paradis's frontline town, and we're the vanguard of the military, so to speak, always pushing forth onto new territory.

And it just happens to be the town where three members of my squad grew up. One of them being The Attack Titan.

Armin stops before I leave through the door. "Wait, Captain."

I turn back, meeting his bright blue eyes through the hole. He continues. "If... you're looking for a quiet place to unwind, then... the tree on the top of the hill is the perfect spot."