Chapter Nine - Rise

Lathi was on the floor, Grandmother was pointing an accusatory finger at Nivar who was being held on the ground by two guards, Samriv and the Queen were trying to keep the order, and Kaya was just in the middle of them all.

She caught Nivar's eye and her breath hitched. He looked confused and appeared to still be weak from his illness. It was the first time she'd seen him awake since she'd betrayed his trust, and she was surprised that she saw no hatred or anger in him. Instead, anger built inside her. Anger she wanted to direct at her grandmother. Nivar wouldn't have tried to murder Lathi. And with the same poison that had been used on him? Unlikely. So, what had happened? And why was Grandmother saying she'd almost been killed?

"What happened?" Kaya asked. She tore her eyes away from Nivar's so she could assess the situation. She would not let him or herself down this time. She would not back down. Kaya looked at Samriv, directing the question to him. She didn't think she could speak calmly to her grandmother any longer or listen quietly as she lied.

"The cook was bringing your Grandmother's morning glass of milk up," Samriv said. "She'd been feeling unwell and had said she no longer wanted it. Lathi drank it so it wouldn't go to waste. And that led to this situation," he gestured to Lathi on the floor.

Devan and Rina had arrived with one of the Queen's herbalists. He took a quick look of Lathi and listed ingredients to Rina for her to get from his staff. She nodded and ran down the stairs. Devan stayed on the ground beside Lathi. He couldn't seem to meet Grandmother's eyes.

"It's dreamer's root," the herbalist said. "A common sleeping medicine that can be lethal in large doses. Fortunately, the remedy is made with easily obtainable ingredients." He checked Lathi's pulse and frowned. "I do not know if she will make it. The dose must have been quite high."

"And why must it have been Nivar?" Kaya asked. She still couldn't understand what was happening here. The situation was off.

"He had this, my lady," one of the guards said. She didn't release Nivar but tilted her head towards a glass vial on the ground near Nivar's arm. The herbalist removed the cap and smelled it. Kaya could bet it had the sweet smell of dreamer's root.

"This is indeed dreamer's root," he said. "The smell is unique for an extract of this color."

"I knew it!" Grandmother shouted. "He was after me." She swept across the landing and brushed past Kaya to stand next to the guards and Nivar. Grandmother looked down at him, the fearful expression still on her face. Kaya wanted to wipe that look off. "Why?" she asked him. "I thought we treated you well. And, you are so close to the Prince...Wait! I know." Grandmother glanced between Kaya and Nivar. She stepped around him towards the Prince and the Queen.

"What is it?" Queen Piya asked.

"He seemed to be following Kaya quite closely. Rina saw him often looking at Kaya's window from the garden. I wonder...if he tried to kill me to get your wedding to be delayed. So that he could take Kaya away!"

Kaya almost laughed. A ridiculous story. She looked at Samriv, hoping to see a similarly incredulous expression but was disappointed to see him listening intently. "Is this true?" he asked Kaya.

"Of course not," she said. Before she could continue, Grandmother interjected.

"You've had some time with Kaya now. She laughs and enjoys speaking to others. Especially about that garden. She's a good girl and friendly. But, you know some men. They see what they wish to see." Kaya wanted to scream. She was not an airheaded girl, and Nivar was not that kind of man! Nivar and Samriv were friends, weren't they?

"I have the herbs," Rina called out. She had returned. Rina passed them to the herbalist, and he quickly made the paste and powder solution using the mortar and pestle he had in his bag. He checked Lathi's pulse once more. His quick and efficient motions ceased.