Chapter Six - Trapped and Alone

Kaya asked to be excused. Grandmother frowned and shook her head. "If you must. But, remember, the Prince will be arriving soon. You still have much to learn."

"Yes, Grandmother."

"I will see you at dinner." Grandmother left, leaving Kaya in the darkening library. Kaya wasn't certain she would make it to dinner. She couldn't get herself to move. Her limbs felt like lead. Even with all the uncertainty and strange occurrences over the past day, Aron had been her constant. With him there, everything had felt like it would be okay. She would share what she knew, and they would figure it out together.

And now, he was gone. And it was her fault. Just like before.

The difference was, she was still in danger here. There was still more at stake. She tried to shake of guilt's familiar weights. If she didn't take action now, she knew the guilt would multiply. She would not have the blood of the Prince and Queen on her hands as well. She had to put her feelings down. It was the only way.

Kaya squeezed her eyes shut and clenched her hands, her nails digging into her palms. The external pain pulled her out of her thoughts for now, but she could feel the emotions swirling just under the surface. Later.

She went back to her room and bolted the door behind her. The bed called to her. She wished she could sink into it and let the days go by. A part of her wondered what she could do to save the Prince and Queen. She wasn't like her parents. She wasn't as smart or strong-willed. As selfless.

Just go to bed. You're one silly girl. Your decisions always make things worse.

Kaya's gaze wandered aimlessly around the room until she noticed her lily. It was drooping, but it was still there. She brushed her fingers on its soft petals and leaves, breathed in its scent. She could feel it's life. She placed it on the window sill. She needed to talk to Nivar tonight.

Kaya sat down at the desk and pulled the paper from the library out of her blouse.

THIS COUNTRY IS OURS!

The time is almost upon us. Do you choose the monarchy or will you side with our people?

2.ad.3.5.nt.gp

Grandmother did not want to be queen – she wanted to make queens and princes obsolete. The books Kaya had read made more sense now. She recalled more of what she had seen.

The servants and their loyalty? Kaya assumed different social classes would be more equal in whatever Grandmother's proposed new people-first regime would be.

Grandmother's dislike of Mother? Mona had abandoned Grandmother and instead aligned with the enemy, the Queen. Had Mother known about Grandmother's ideas when she left? Was that why Kaya had never met her? But, why had they mandated Kaya to stay with Grandmother if they didn't see eye to eye? What would Grandmother have done if Kaya wasn't engaged to the Prince?

Kaya read the paper again. What did those characters at the bottom mean? Some kind of countdown? A plan only some people would understand? Maybe Nivar could help her figure it out. There was also a logo at the top – a crow in flight with a sickle in one claw and wheat in the other.

Time passed. Rina knocked on the door twice. Once for dinner. Once to get the bath ready. Kaya did not let her in. Soon, the sounds of the household faded and the lights dimmed and went out. Kaya looked out the window. Had Nivar been able to see her lily in the fading dusk light?

A hand shot out of the darkness and grasps the window ledge. Kaya jumped back. Nivar's face bobbed up. He smiled as he pulled himself into the room. "You called, my lady?" He took one look at her face, and the smile dropped away. "What happened?"

Rise of the Lilyजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें