Saluena can be set aside, but Rose-san’s words took me aback.

Certainly, if somebody had saved my life and then called it “no big deal”, I might feel like my life wasn’t worth that much.

“I-I understand. I will happily accept Peachseed-san, Kutuna-san, and Plumseed-san’s gratitude.”

I straightened my back to make myself seem more formal as I answered, and a relieved look spread across their faces.

“Thank you very much. From now on we have a clear goal ahead of us.”

“Didn’t you two say you were going to make a grand, triumphant return home when you reached level ten?”

“Y-Yes. But since Iris-san is a red rank, yellow…….no, we’ll have to keep working until we become at least orange rank adventurers.”

The nearby fire is devouring the food we fed into it, growing to a roaring flame that felt great on our cold, wet bodies.

“It’s okay for you to call me just Iris. Actually Plumseed-san, since we’re the same age, maybe you’d prefer if neither of us used any honorifics?”

I smiled and told Plumseed-san we could be a little less formal with each other, but she immediately flew backwards faster than I thought possible for her. She ducked back behind Kutuna-san, peeking out only a small part of her head.

“There’s no way I could do something that discourteous!”

“Eh?”

I know I’m not a beautiful woman like Rose-san, nor do I have a handsome face that can instantly melt a maiden’s heart like Saluena.

So I understand there’s always a chance somebody would refuse to become friends with me.

But, to be refused because it’d be too rude? Nobody’s ever said that to me before.

“I-I-I don’t have a beautiful heart like Iris-san does. I have an abject, pitch black, quick to anger, deeply envious heart!”

“Eh, um……Plumseed-san?”

“I s-s-simply can’t, addressing an angel like Iris-san without an honorific……or casually speaking with you is i-impossible. Absolutely super duper mega impossible! I should just die! I have no choice but to look directly at my filthy self and die of despair!”¹

“H-Huh…….? This is……”

I turned towards her sister Peachseed-san for help, but instead of an explanation, she simply shook her head.

“Oh it’s just her usual fit. Don’t worry about it.”

No no, even if you tell me not to worry about it, that’s kind of impossible in a situation like this.

“It’s just how this girl gets when she’s too nervous.”

“S-S-Someone like me…….a rotten sludge woman like me, aah, talk, talking to Iris-san……..oh, OHH!? Corrupting, polluting Iris-san! I need to stop breathing!! Yeah, die, I’ll just do that!”

Plumseed-san squatted down behind Kutuna-san and tightly wrapped her hands over her mouth.

“Hoh, she’s even more talented than I had expected.”

“Hold on? What did you say Saluena?”

“Sorry. I’m just a little excited to be meeting a race I never encountered a thousand years ago.”

“Don’t just stand there and watch! I mean Peachseed-san! Your younger sister is dying!?”

This is how the life I just saved gets used up? Didn’t you just say you were going to pay me back for saving you!?