14

Chapter 3
Section 1: Golem
“T-This is……..”

My mouth hung open as I stood there in mute amazement. Because of the absence of the thick, green canopy, the sun’s rays illuminated the area without issue. And being illuminated by that light was a monster the size of a small mountain, collapsed on the ground.

“It’s………the golem………”

Toslin muttered aloud to herself while drawing her sword. Rose-san readied her shield and slowly approached the behemoth alongside Toslin. I grabbed on to Carol, trembling while watching the golem that could start moving again at any moment. It looked like the golem was missing an arm. And some parts of its body looked cracked apart.

Toslin reached out with her sword, pricking the golem’s head with the end of her sword.

“It’s all right. It’s dead……….”

It was at that time.

“No it’s not!! Toslin’s a liar!!”

“Shut up, my bad!! It’s been a long time since I’ve seen a golem!!”

*GOGO*, *GOGOGO*………a noise reminiscent of a tremor running through the earth sounded as the golem slowly rose up. At that time, a large amount of snow that must have fallen from the tree canopy and landed on the golem was lifted up with it and was absorbed into its body. Then not only did the cracks running through its body heal up, its missing arm regrew as well.

“No way!? It’s alive and regenerating!!”

“That’s sneaky you cheater!!”

“Toslin-san……..”

Rose-san readied her round shield and lifted her mace.

“Yeah yeah, I know. This time……..it looks like we’re going to have to deal with this.”

“Eh, you serious?”

“Completely. We’re Quinn-san’s escorts right now, so we don’t have a choice. If you understand then hurry up and get serious.”

Toslin took a small kick towards Carol’s butt. Carol managed to jump away and avoid it however.

“Wait, it still hurts from when Rose spanked me, so watch it!!”

These two, if the enemy in front of them allowed it, they’d keep playing like this forever.

“B-Both of you………the golem’s moving!!”

“Oops, well then…….Rose and I will deal with it from the front. Carol, circle around behind it and see if you can spot its core.”

“OK”

“I-I will………”

“Absolutely do not move from Goldmund’s side. Quinn-san too, please don’t separate yourself from that dolinp.”

“I-I got it.”

Quinn-san squatted down, hiding behind Goldmund’s massive body. But I pulled out my dagger instead. With the way I am, there’s nothing I can do against a golem. But, if there are more goblins nearby, I’ll have to somehow protect Quinn-san on my own. I made a promise to the villagers. I’ll bring you home no matter what.

“Go!”

Toslin’s shout resounded throughout the Swansea Forest.

“Ggg……Gigaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!”

The golem raised a rough warcry as well as if to signal the start of the battle. It then lifted up its regenerated right arm and swung it down at Rose-san like a hammer.