87

Chapter 10
Section 4: Rumor
“Hyaamph———!!! Meat, the scent of meat!! Give me meat!!”

“You just got out of the hospital……ah jeez! Honestly, this idiot.”

As soon as we walked into the guild building, Carol got a whiff of some meat cooking on the grill and ran deeper inside. Toslin threw out her hand to try and stop her, but she was too slow. Carol had sewn herself through the throng of people and arrived at the counter before we knew it.

“Sorry, I don’t want her off on her own just yet, so I’m going ahead for a bit. Can you find us seats in the meantime?”

Toslin followed after Carol shortly after, forcing her way through to the other side of the room filled with pleasant chatter.

“Despite what she says, Toslin looks pretty happy.”

“Fufufu, indeed. Carol-san’s safety has left her in a very good mood.”

I feel the same way, but the nature of my feelings are probably different from hers. Watching Toslin’s retreating figure, that thought becomes keenly apparent.

“It’s really crowded in here considering the time.”

It is currently just a little past ten am. Most adventurers should already be out working on whatever requests they have, and the city’s carpenters have all been busy lately fixing up the city wall.

You might have the odd fellow strolling in for lunch here and there, but it’s weird to have this many people coming in this early. At least it’s not so hectic in here that we can’t find a table.

“Oi, look over there.”

“Oh, is that the rumored dragon slayer?”

“The story goes that she summoned a knight and chopped off its head with one attack.”

“Yeah, I heard that too. I also heard that the knight she summoned was that Hadion.”

“……seriously. That Hadion, the Dark Violet Knight straight from the legends? Does she really exist……..?”

Hm? I turned my head towards some voices I could hear just outside my field of vision.

I locked eyes with some adventurer looking people at a nearby table, causing them all to jump in their seats.

“I see, it seems we’re the reason why it’s so crowded in here.”

“Rumors of the dragon subjugation in Relton have finally spread, and adventurers from the surrounding area have gathered together.”

“R-Rumors…….?”

Now that I think about it, adventurers and merchants kept bombarding me with questions at the feast held in Relton after the dragon was defeated, and I ended up having to talk to a lot of different people.

“I heard she’s constantly coming in and out of this city’s church, and cleared away an army of a thousand ents in an instant.”

“Well I heard she caused the side of an entire mountain to explode. Did you see the strange-looking tree weirdly growing from one side of the mountain? She’s the one who caused that.”

“……um, the story’s getting awfully inflated……”

First of all there were only a hundred ents, not a thousand. And the side of the mountain didn’t get blown up.

“That’s how rumors are.”

“And is the part about you making a giant tree grow from the side of the mountain true?”