74

Chapter 9
Section 2: Strong Shield
“Grooooooooo…….”

“Graa, Gra, Gra, Graa…….”

Moonlight danced over the trace remains of snow, illuminating over a dozen wolves and even several bears.

“Undead? They’re moonstruck. The ideal enemy for a deserted place like this.”

Animals around Solretta Litta are bigger with thicker fur coats, most likely as a way to combat the colder climate. As such, their levels are higher than ordinary wolves and bears.

“Snow wolves are level 3, and snow bears were…….level 5 I think?”

Talking about level 5, that’s the same level as those ents we tore through earlier. Not exactly what I would call a formidable enemy all things considered…….

“But that’s no ordinary wolf. That thing is giving off something evil.”

As a fairy, Lapris knew better. Although the fact that these animals all came out together from the ruins should be sign enough. I’ve been feeling the chills for a while now. And it is not because it’s especially cold out tonight. I don’t feel any sign of life coming from these wolves and bears in front of me.

“Master was certainly weak with undead correct? What do you want to do? You can step back until we get rid of them.”

Saluena looked worried since she remembered how I freaked out about zombies with Aronda-san back at the church.

“N-No. I’m okay. Even if they are undead, they look normal right now…….as far as I can tell.”

Lapris, Saluena, and I have already figured out that these animals are undead, monsters who are no longer members of the living.

But they aren’t as rotten as I imagined they would be. The illustrations in adventure novels usually have zombies with missing limbs or their eyes popping out of their sockets in a lovely image of something incredibly grotesque……..and whether or not the word ‘lovely’ is appropriate in that context or not, these things aren’t like those zombies at all.

Maybe it’s because of the fur that I can’t see any kind of decayed, rotting meat, but even with the nighttime conditions adding a spooky backdrop, I have to say that it’s not too scary.

“Quite right. Zombies are shambling corpses possessed by a spirit. They attack anything whether it be friend or foe which is why their bodies are so battered and damaged…..was the popular theory from my time.”

“Now’s not really the time for a carefree lesson Anego!!”

“Groooooo……….Graaaaaaaaaaah!”

One of the snow bears rushed us with little regard for the snow. The bear’s huge body exposed to the bright moon hanging in a clear night sky cast a long, deep shadow which on its own could cause someone to freeze in place.

But that’s really only true if you’re a timid person like me.

“It matters not. My sword will not be stayed by the aura of some beast.”

Saluena was someone who could brush off the attack of a dragon as if it were nothing and then send its head flying with a single stroke of her sword. There’s no way she’s going to back down from something like a bear.

On Saluena’s command, Unicorn charged forward to meet the enemy head on. Saluena caught the monster’s heavy swipe with her shield, and as we passed the hulking monster by, its head spun off its neck after a single swing of Saluena’s sword.

“HyaaaaaAAAAAA!! That’s Anego for you!! Unicorn did good too!! Keep it up!!”

Unicorn pressed on over the snow as Lapris’s cheers filled the air.