“I see…..that is certainly strange indeed.”

“Really?”

“Yes, because it goes against an ent’s very nature to gather together in a single spot like what you’ve described.”

Grandpa stuck out one finger as he spoke. Then, a small ball of flames materialized at his fingertip.

“Wow, amazing Grandpa!”

“Fuahaha, most people would yell at me for starting an open fire while inside. So right now I have to say Sarah is the amazing one.”

*Flit* *Flit*, Grandpa slowly raised each one of his fingers, another fireball flitting into existence at the tip of each one.

“So I’ve started a fire. Do you know how?”

“The elder is a mage, so you used magic to do it.”

“Then let’s shift the question. Why can a mage start a fire like this?”

“…..that’s because…..”

Saluena shut her mouth. Mages can use magic. A person is called a mage because they can use magic. But if an ordinary person was asked why a mage can use magic, how were they supposed to answer that?

“I see. So it’s the same principle?”

“So you understand it Iris? Then please share with the class.”

“Grandpa is making use of the spirits in this room. Spirits are big bundles of magic power all grouped together, like a crystal. So if Grandpa’s magic power is high enough, the spirits should naturally follow you as well.”

“You remember your lessons well Iris. Spot on.”

Grandpa nodded his head in satisfaction before throwing another piece of wood into the stove. The flames devoured the wood, jumping up in intensity and lighting up the room as bright as day.

“……in other words, the elder’s nature is no different from a strong spirit?”

“Fuahaha, I suppose you could say that. Mages use the magic power circulating in our bodies to attract spirits, and we influence those spirits into using their power to best suit our needs.”

“Do you have any clues about the spirit that might be in charge of the ents Grandpa? I’d also like to ask if you know about anything similar to this happening to the town in the past.”

“Let’s see……. As a mage, I was never an elementalist who specialized in using powerful spirits. And without sensing its existence, I can’t tell what kind of spirit it is…….”

Grandpa started his explanation, and the wrinkles between his eyebrows only deepened as he continued on.

“Thinking about it normally, I would take a guess at it being a wind, earth, or tree spirit. Wind blows through these mountains endlessly, and the mountains themselves are chock full of minerals. Meanwhile the leaves around here grow thick and green even during the winter. Look at it that way, and we have the possibility for our culprit to be one of three powerful spirits. But like I said, that’s if you think about it normally……. What I mean is, there’s nothing to say that it might not be a different spirit entirely.”

A sylph, the spirit of the wind. A gnome, the spirit of earth. Or a dryad, the spirit of trees. In this case, I guess the most likely answer would be a dryad?

“Okay, I understand. I’ll be sure to keep my mind open to any other possibilities as well.”

“Mm, good. This world is filled with the mysterious. Remember that even what you think you see with your eyes could just be an illusion for something else entirely.”