As my trembling hands tighten their grip on my dagger, the dragon abruptly turned its butt to me.

“Eh?”

I couldn’t understand why, so I just kept standing there perplexed. Then an instant later, there was the sharp sound of something cutting through the air.

“Get down Iris!”

I didn’t have the leeway to hear why. Looking in the direction that the sound was coming from, I saw a tail as thick as a log hurtling through the air right at me.

“Iris-san!”

Just as the tail was about to mow me down, Rose-san pushed me down.

“Hii!”

A violent breeze passed over my head as I landed on my back.

“R-Rose!”

I heard Toslin’s scream. I forget to stand back up, instead following Toslin’s gaze. There, Rose-san was lying on the ground in a heap far away from where she had been. Goldmund was lying there right next to her.

“R…….Rose-san? Goldmund? N-No, No!”

I threw my dagger on the ground and ran over to Rose-san.

“Rose-san! Rose-san!”

I shook Rose-san’s dust smeared body while desperately calling her name.

“Ah, Iris………san. That is, no good…… You have to run from here………plea……..*COUGH* *COUGH*”

Rose-san’s voice was hoarse as she spoke, and her whole body was shaking as she tried to stand up. But blood was trickling down the corners of her mouth, and it was obvious she was in no condition to fight.

“I, I’m sorry……… I’m so sorry Rose-san! I am…….. I am……..”

“Fufu………. Fufufu, what do you have to be sorry for? How ridiculous.”

Rose-san was laughing while I was cursing my own helplessness and incompetence.

“Now then, I…….I have to go. I cannot just leave it to those two………*COUGH* *COUGH*”

“Impossible, it’s impossible Rose-san! If you try to move now………you’ll die, no……….I don’t want that!”

I embraced Rose-san as she tried to get up. Tears started to blur my vision. No……..not like this. Our adventure…….ending like this. Ranroot…….the hero slew the dragon. I know its unreasonable to compare myself to the legendary hero, but……..

“KYAaaaaaaa!!”

Another deafening scream tore my eyes away from Rose-san. Even though she was wearing a set of supposedly heavy plate armor, reflected in my gaze was Toslin’s body soaring through the air.

“Ku, this!”

Carol jumped off the dragon’s foot and rushed up its back, aiming her dagger at the one remaining eye that had yet to bleed. But, the dragon shook its head and threw Carol of its back.

“Uwa, wawawa!”

Carol twisted her body as she fell and landed like a cat.

“H-Huh? A, my comb”

Carol moved her hand to her chest and began frantically searching around in the dirt around her. Her important comb must have fallen away from her when she was twisting her body midair.

“Ah, there!”

The comb had fallen right between Carol and the dragon.

“Gugaaaaaa!”