FIFTY-SIX

E L I Z A

Little did I know but this night would be my last taste of freedom. Freedom and peace that I didn't know that I had. Everything was about to get so much worse. So dark and so deeply fucked up. It all started with an innocent suggestion from my sweet best friend, Daphne.

"I think we should do something fun," Daphne suggested openly, "we're all so grumpy today."

I raised my eyes from the sofa I was slouched in, leaning against Draco's side, his arm drooping around me. He himself had been down all day as well. We all had. And sitting on this sofa is all we've done since getting back from dinner. Pansy and Theo sat opposite us and I think they had a small argument but they still held hands.

It was a Sunday night and just the thought of facing next week was destroying me. I look up at Daphne, her kind eyes wandering over us all.

"Like what?" Blaise questioned.

"Like anything," Daphne smiled, "I just don't like this. At all."

"I'm too tired," Pansy sighed.

"Then let's do something exciting... to wake us up," Daphne suggested.

As draining as doing something sounded, I thought it could be a good distraction. "I'm down," I said and Daphne chirped her excitement and went on to convince Blaise.

"Are you sure?" Draco whispered into my ear.

"Of course," I nodded, "What's the worst that could happen?" that hasn't happened already, I wanted to add.

"What should we do?" I asked before Draco could convince me otherwise.

Daphne looked between us all, mischief dancing in those pretty blue eyes of hers, "How about we sneak into the kitchens and stuff our faces with all the cakes and sweets? Like we used to."

Oh, I thought she meant play a board game or something. Not leaving the common room past curfew and then breaking into the kitchens. Not only could we get caught and get into serious trouble but Merlin only knew who would be out there, in the dark quietness of the school. Waiting for me.

I felt Draco tense and I could tell he was thinking exactly what I was thinking.

"And suddenly I'm not too tired," Pansy leant forward, smiling back at Theo, "that sounds like a hell of a lot of fun. Count me in."

"Yeah, me too," Theo said.

"If there's food involved," Blaise said, "then I'm down."

"Yay," Daphne smiled so brightly.

"And we can show Eliza how much mayhem us second years could cause," Pansy said, "teach her the proper Slytherin ways."

"C'mon, we can't ruin our little innocent Eliza," Theo said with a grin and Pansy slapped his arm, followed by a chuckle.

"Our?" Draco said, voice stern.

I smiled, "I think it will be fun. A good distraction."

"Then let's go," Daphne chimed.

~

It was exactly two minutes after midnight when we finally snuck out of the Slytherin common room and began our adventure to the kitchens. The halls were silent and we tried hard to be just as quiet but Blaise and Theo kept making jokes. We held our wands out, illuminated with light as we scurried like little mice around corners.

I could tell they had done this before, the trail we took was precise, avoiding lanterns and certain corridors where Filch and his cat would be patrolling.