FIFTY-THREE

E L I Z A

A silent fear rushed through me, like a storm on the night ocean, when I opened my eyes and realized I was somewhere unfamiliar. A bed, with four dark wooden beams reaching upward. Just like mine. But this one was darker. And a window, just like the windows in my dormitory—with dark green curtains falling to the floor, matching my familiar ones. The floor had a little mess scattered. Bottles. Clothes. Boys clothes.

A jolt of fear erupted through me and I sat up instantly, the green bedding bunched up on my lap. I had no idea where I was and how I got there.

"Woah," a male voice muttered from beside me and I turned my head instantly. Theo. He held his hands in front of himself, like he was trying to calm me down, "It's okay, Eliza."

I closed my eyes, feeling the relief settle through my veins and feel the beat of my heart calm, "how did I get here?" I asked and looked down at the bed I was in. This was Draco's bed. I'm not sure how I knew but I knew. What I didn't know though, was how I got here.

"What do you remember?" He asked in a concerned way.

I thought back to it, and felt the ache in my stomach and pain in the back of my head. I had drunk that entire bottle—I remember stumbling out of The Room Of Requirement, feeling sick, couldn't see straight.

Everything was a blur but I made it to the girl's bathroom. I made it to the toilet and I threw up. Then I stumbled out, hitting my back against the stall wall and then falling back. Falling down.

Down.

Down.

And then I was lying on the floor, looking up at the pretty bathroom ceiling.

Then nothing.

"I don't know," I said because I couldn't explain why I was up there. I couldn't tell him I was looking for a crystal to give to the dark wizard who had been tormenting me.

A crystal that I needed to find still—

"I have to go," I hurriedly said and I pushed the sheets away and stood. Stood too fast. My eyes spun as a pain roared through my temple.

"Eliza—Just wait—take it easy," Theo was somehow at my side, muttering things. Holding me upright as the dizziness slowly calmed.

"No," I blurted, opening my eyes and meeting his brown, worried eyes, "I need to go."

"Why?" he asked.

"I just do," I said and walked around him and I realized I had no idea how long it's been since yesterday or if yesterday was even yesterday—

"Eliza," Theo was behind me, gently grabbing my arm, halting me in my escape, "what is going on? You don't just drink a bottle of alcohol for no reason. What were you doing up there? Draco has been in a state all day trying to figure out what happened."

"I'm fine," I mumbled. My eyes definitely told him I wasn't fine but all I wanted to do was find the crystal and go back to the way it was.

"No you're not," he said like he knew me, "are you in some sort of trouble?"

I looked up at his worried eyes. I should tell him, I thought recklessly. I stared up at him, his eyes narrowing, he must have seen the hope sparkling in my eyes. But I blinked it away. What was I thinking? I can't tell him.