THIRTY-ONE

E L I Z A

The night went on, the bonfire cracked and sparkled brightly, and marshmallows were burned, and we drank until there was nothing but empty bottles scattered across the floor—but all while I felt eyes watching me. Whether it was Merlin watching me break so many rules or if it was something much darker.

Either way, I found the more I drank the more relaxed I felt. Hours must have passed by me but the thrill of the intoxication controlled me, keeping me in its leash.

I smiled as I spun around and around in circles with a bottle in my hand and my head tilted back. It was euphoric. A smile was plastered on my lips as I heard the cheers and laughs of my friends. In my eyes, as I spun and spun, they were nothing but a blissful blur.

Until I stumbled and landed on my knees.

Although I had just had so much energy, I couldn't fathom the strength to stand back up. So I just laughed as my head fell slowly to my knees. I must've looked crazy but in the mommet, I didn't care.

"I think you've had enough," I heard Draco's voice and then felt his arm on my back. I looked to the side, through my fallen messy hair and saw him crouched beside me.

I shook my head but I had no strength to form any words. I knew I should but I didn't want to stop, because when I did, I would only be reminded why I was drinking so much in the first place.

"C'mon Malfoy, she's the life of the party right now," Blaise drunkenly cheered, holding out his bottle, "don't take her away."

My world was spinning and I knew if I stood I would fall right back down.

"I don't care," Draco seethed, "she's too fucking drunk."

Their words were muffled and whatever they were saying, I didn't care. I think they wanted me to stay and keep partying with them but Draco didn't want me to.

"I'm taking her to our tent," Draco said to them and then whispered into my ear, "Let's get you to sleep."

They all booed and I booed along with them as Draco scooped me into his arms and carried me to our tent. However, I made sure to hold onto the bottle of alcohol.

When we arrived at our tent, Draco placed me back onto my feet and I leaned against a tree to keep myself standing. Draco knelt down and started unzipping the tent. I looked around through my hazy vision and saw the bonfire in the distance and heard my friend's laughter echoing through the forest. A wild part of me wanted to make a run for it, back to my friends and hope draco wouldn't catch me.

The rest of the woods were dark, pitch black for miles and it had an eerie silence to it. I looked back down at Draco knowing I would be too afraid to run through the dark alone.

"Fuck," Draco cursed to himself when the tent zip got stuck and started fiddling around with it.

Chills crawled up my arms and I took the opportunity to take another sip of the alcohol before fear took hold of me. It was like we were in one of those silly muggle horror films.

Draco finally got the zip and opened up the tent. He looked up at me other his shoulder and caught me sipping the bottle.

"Eliza!" he warned as he stood straight, towering over me as he snatched the bottle from my hands and threw it to the floor, the bottle collided against a tree stump and it smashed into little pieces.