FORTY-TWO

D R A C O

My heart raced as fast as a hummingbird's wings and I haven't moved an inch since that blast of power and saw Noah holding Eliza. Fear had consumed my entire being. I wanted to go up there and fire a curse at his head, but only Eliza's head was in the way. And Theo's hand was harsh against my arm. If I made a move, it would be foolish.

I regret drinking so much because now I feel too dizzy and wobbly on my feet. I feel tired but at the same time, I'm ready to kill someone. Kill Noah.

"No one move," Theo muttered to us all.

"We should kill him," Pansy whispered and I couldn't have agreed more.

"Not while he has Eliza," Theo warned.

I kept my eyes focused on Noah, on the hand he had around Eliza's waist and the hand covering her mouth. On Eliza's terrified eyes and fingers clawing at his arm. I was still and to some, I would seem calm but there was a fiery rage in my eyes.

How did this happen? Five minutes before that blast, she was with me, well with her parents but she was right with me. How did we get to this?

"...Begin counting your days because they are numbered," Noah said and then I swear something in the air stiffened and a few people started muttering, tensing as they looked up at the intruder holding an innocent girl.

I felt sick when I saw Noah lean in close to Eliza's neck and say something in her ear, something only she heard. Then her eyes widened and it wasn't until I saw a tip of a blade poke out of her stomach that I realized what had happened.

Noah had stabbed Eliza.

Screams filled the ballroom and another blast of power exploded above us. I was frozen in place, shock keeping me captive. That was until I saw Noah apparate and watched Eliza's body fall to the floor. She was now out of sight and everything inside of me changed.

Adrenaline was like electricity in my veins as I ran toward the stairs that led up to the balcony. Ahead of me was Richard, Eliza's father and when he reached the balcony doors he didn't run to his daughter who was lying in a pool of her own blood, no. He began looking all over the balcony for Noah.

I didn't spare any more seconds and I went straight to Eliza's un-moving body on the floor. I didn't care who saw me or what it looked like. I didn't care at all.

My knees crashed to the hard floor, my skin warming as her blood soaked through my trousers. What do I do? What do I do? What do I do?

"...I'm going to kill that bastard when I find him—" Richard was muttering to himself, storming from side to side of the balcony.

"Eliza?" my hands shook as they went to her neck. I had to check for a pulse. I had to check for a pulse. Tears had blurred my vision and I blinked my eyes clear but the pain was still deep. My hands were useless, they wouldn't stop shaking and I couldn't feel a pulse. I couldn't feel a pulse.

I heard a god-awful scream behind me and despite the chills that spiraled up my spine, I didn't have to turn around to see that it was Dianna, Eliza's mother. That scream was filled with horror and fear.

"Eliza?" I whispered again like somehow it would wake her.

"Send for healers," Lucius, my father. My father was calling for healers, "Send for healers, now."

I couldn't look away from Eliza, despite how scared it made me. Despite how sick it made me feel to look at her like this. She looked dead. She looked dead.