Third Year | Quidditch In The Rain

It was the the first Quidditch match of the year, and Gryffindor's captain, Oliver, was furious to find that they would be playing against Hufflepuff, not Slytherin, like they had been practicing for. Harry grumbled to the three of his friends about having to train twice as hard now, and Oliver basically tailing him all over the school to give him some advice.

"Why are you playing against Hufflepuff anyway?" Y/N had asked him one night when they had been studying in the middle of the night, which had become a routine for them.

"Malfoy's complaining that his arm hurts, so he can't play," Harry had grumbled at her after she had used the Ferula spell on him again to ease his pain. "So Slytherin doesn't have to play in the bad weather."

Oliver had been so worried that Harry entered late in Defense Against the Dark Arts one day, Oliver talking to him and not looking at the time. And unfortunately, it wasn't Professor Lupin who was teaching that day, and Harry had to face the never ending disdain that Snape had for him.

"Turn to page 394," Snape said as he tapped on a projector after taking 15 points of Gryffindor because Harry had been late.

"Werewolfs?" Ron asked when he opened his book.

"But sir, we've just been learning about Red Caps and Hinkypufs," Hermione said, and Melody jumped slightly on her seat. She had been appearing in disappearing suddenly in between classes, and it scared Y/N, who was her seatmate for the term.

Harry and Ron gave each other questioning looks as well. Harry, who was sitting beside Ron, glanced at Y/N to check that she's fine, because Harry knew that Y/N was slightly jumpy. Y/N noticed this and gave him a smile, silently telling him that she's alright.

"Now, who can tell me the difference between an animagus and a werewolf?" Snape asked the class while walking to the front of the classroom, his back facing them. Hermione's hand shot up to the air. "No one? I'm disappointed."

"Please, sir," Hermione said. "An animagus is a wizard who lets themself turn into an animal. A werewolf has no choice."

Y/N gave her friend an awed look as Hermione began explaining the other differences between an animagus and a werewolf. She knew that Hermione liked to read around the subject, but even Y/N hadn't started reading this part of the book yet.

Instead of giving her points like Lupin would've, Snape only sneered at her. "This is the second time you've spoken out of turn, Miss Granger. Are you incapable of restraining yourself or do you take pride in being an insufferable know-it-all? Five points from Gryffindor."

Hermione's face turned very red, and she lowered her hand, her eyes full of tears. Y/N took her hand and gave it a small squeeze of reassurance, and Hermione gave her a thankful look as she blinked back tears.

"She gave you an answer to the question you've asked. Why bother asking if you don't want an answer?" Ron exclaimed.

Y/N mentally face-palmed herself.

"Detention for you, Mr Weasley!" Snape snarled, and Ron shrunk in his seat.

"As an antidote to your ignorance, I want you to write two rolls of parchment of werewolfs with particular emphasis on recognizing it on Monday morning-"

"Sir, it's Quidditch tomorrow," Harry cut him off, and Y/N mentally face-palmed herself again.

Snape put his hands on Harry's desk and sneered close to his face. "I suggest you take extra care, Mister Potter. Lack of limbs will not excuse you."

The class was silent the rest of the time, quietly taking notes of Snape's teaching.

Y/N found her mind wandering when they left the class. Why was Professor Snape suddenly giving them essays on werewolfs? And does it have a connection to the disappearance of Professor Lupin? she thought.