❝You Had To❞

Could We Belong?Chapter 4

Could We Belong?
Chapter 4

While everything was smooth in the Medici household, it has become harder and harder for the newly wedded couple to spend some time together. Lorenzo, busy managing the bank and attending the Priori meetings and suddenly disappeared into the night, only to come back a few hours, certainly had made Mary suspicious. Meanwhile Mary, learning how to manage the household and learn a few bank tricks from Madonna Medici, helped her become occupied while Lorenzo was out during the day. But when night time came and sometime Mary would sleep without Lorenzo next to her, only to be met with his strong comfort of arms hours later, had raised some suspicion in Mary. At least this one might Lorenzo had not gone anywhere and remained in bed with Mary to the following morning.

It was clear as day that Lorenzo was too anxious about Bianca's wedding, something that he was thinking about and Mary had wanted to know, as an attempt to help Lorenzo. As Mary was sitting in bed, on her stomach in her nightgown, playing around with Lorenzo's loose hair that was always touching his forehead, she wanted to know what was going through his mind as his hands remained on Mary's back.

"You look more anxious about Bianca's wedding than ours. Does this have to do with Bianca marrying a Pazzi?" Mary asked and Lorenzo was lost into all sorts of thinking, "A marriage to the Pazzi and a new treaty ratified with Milan," Mary sat up next to Lorenzo and smiled at him a little, "You are ascendant, Lorenzo." Mary mentioned and Lorenzo had a small smile on his face, "What more is there to possibly worry about?" Lorenzo looked at Mary as her hair had fallen into frame with her face and Lorenzo touched Mary's hips as he explained his deep thinking.

"Our bank's finances are precarious. Bianca's wedding will only deepen Jacopo's desire to destroy us." Lornezo mentioned as he got up from the bed and opened the window to their shared rooms.

"But he's old and you are more than his equal." Mary said and Lorenzo looked out to the window.

"And burdened by conscience, which puts me at a disadvantage." Mary looked at Lorenzo and sighed. Walking from the bed and stands in front of her husband as the church bells were ringing from a far distance.

"And how is your conscience a burdened disadvantage?" Mary asked and Lorenzo looked at her, taking her face into his hands.

"There are mortal lines that I won't cross, and Jacopo has none of those." Lorenzo mentioned and Mary looked at Lorenzo.

"There is strength in goodness and I believe in you, as your wife and friend." Mary mentioned as Lorenzo smiles a little bit.

"My family is waiting for us to eat breakfast with them." Lorenzo mentioned, as Mary smiled and looked at Lorenzo as his hands moved down to Mary's waist.