52

{ Anaela }

I stared out the window almost the entire time, clutching my seatbelt protectively and barely drinking any of the berry water that was served to me. I was on a private jet, the smell of lavender and vanilla filling my nose and food cooking in the back. I was supposed to meet with my mother to get a couple of papers and confirm some things for my case. The charges had been dropped.

As we landed I closed my eyes shut, then forced them open. Coming back to Houston as a new person was a beginning for me. I can't start things off scared.

"Miss Anaela?"

I peeled my eyes away from the window and looked up to a boy about my age in a wrinkly tuxe holding a platter of food. "Your mother suggested you eat before you leave the plane. There will be no time for stops or anything of that sort once you leave." He sounded so awkward speaking so formally.

I nodded, taking the food from him and starting to nibble on a turkey sandwich with vegan mayonnaise and peppered tomatoes dripping with vegan cheese. After all, that was what the description on the note card said that came with the platter.

It was delicious.

I moved aside my tray and stood up. The flight had only felt like it was an hour but I know more time had passed. I stretched, noticing that me, the boy, the pilot, and a woman were the only ones on the aircraft.

"How did you guys come to work for my mother?" I asked, taking inspiration from Teece's question.

"We owe her money. She takes it from our checks," the boy spoke up, rolling his eyes. The lady nudged him, and he straightened up. "This way, Miss Anaela."

I followed after him, glancing back at the window I had sat by. "Do you know where I'll be going to meet my mother?"

"Your driver will know that information."

I nodded, feeling awkward with how formal they treated me. I was just another teenager. Without my name I'd be treated like a stupid, mindless kid.

My legs were wobbly as I climbed out of the private jet, feeling like a president. As soon as my shoes touched the pavement I felt a random sense of accomplishment. The charges against my friends were dropped, who cares what happens to Dominique. Valentine and I are patching things up, me and Teece are cool, and eventually she'll be able to walk again.

Now all that's keeping me from a sense of normalcy is this deal. Once this deal is over, no more trouble will enter my life.

I couldn't be more wrong.

We had been driving for twenty minutes before we arrived at a random Panera Bread on the Southeast side of town. The driver watched me enter the establishment before speeding off. I looked around the inside. It was my first time in here. It smelled like home but looked like every other food franchise.

I saw my mother sitting by a large window, slurping on a latte from Starbucks. I walked over to her table and sat down. She looked up, taking me in. "You look different from the last time I saw you."

I stayed quiet, waiting for whatever she had to say. What response would I even have to that anyways? "This deal is very important. It's going to bring in a lot of money for us and influence a lot of our future plans."

I suddenly saw my destiny fly it's way across my mind. I felt relieved and at peace. I'm not going to run any of this. I'm going to let this crumble so that everybody can finally act like adults and stop adding to the corrupt of this world. Marielle and everyone else can go home and be happy. I'll help them find jobs, but they'll no longer have to listen to my mother or me. I shouldn't be the only one with a happy ending.

"I guess this will be my first big deal as the rising leader," I commented, smiling to myself.

My mother attempted a smile. "I know I haven't been around, but I see that you'll lead us to some great things. I see myself in you." She eyed my outfit, "Just not wearing that. You need to go shopping, honey. We're meeting with rich folks."

"I thought it was one representative," I frowned, standing up with my mother. "Yes, but everybody talks. Your body language needs to do that before you even say a word to somebody."

She handed me a brief case. "And these are all of the papers you need to sign."

I groaned as I picked up the brief case. "Heavy?" she asked sarcastically. She approached the counter and ordered me a latte too. "After we leave the mall, it's straight to Meyerland."

"Where in Meyerland are we meeting up at?" I asked. "They still haven't sent me the exact directions," my mother told me, seeming a bit troubled by that. "But I'm sure we'll know soon."

I watched her as we waited for my order. The way she stood, the way she tried to smile. We were something alike. She was still my mother. I looked down at my shoes. "Maybe, since we're together we could hang out after the deal and stuff," I suggested slowly.

"Oh trust me. We won't have any time. I have no idea what the representative will entitle our time too, but it won't be something quick." She didn't even notice my look of disappointment.

"So you'll be there too?" I asked, a little hopeful that I wouldn't have to be burdened with so many adult responsibilities in one day.

"Oh no, of course not. This is all you, Anaela," she chuckled. I grabbed my latte off the counter and followed my mother out to the parking lot. A driver waited for us in a black Porsche. "I wanna drive. Find a ride," my mother told the lady.

The lady kept a neutral expression, and left. I climbed into the passenger seat, frowning immediately. "The wheel's on this side? Isn't this like a...British car?"

"I know. Figured we could have some fun today."

"But isn't this illegal? This car doesn't meet the same safety standards."

My mother rolled her eyes and pressed a button. "Just drive, Anaela. Drive like the cops are still chasing after you."