38 | moonlight

❝ 𝑰 𝒇𝒊𝒏𝒂𝒍𝒍𝒚 𝒂𝒔𝒌𝒆𝒅 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒕𝒐 𝒅𝒂𝒏𝒄𝒆
𝒐𝒏 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒍𝒂𝒔𝒕 𝒔𝒍𝒐𝒘 𝒔𝒐𝒏𝒈,
𝒃𝒆𝒏𝒆𝒂𝒕𝒉 𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝒎𝒐𝒐𝒏 𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝒘𝒂𝒔 𝒓𝒆𝒂𝒍𝒍𝒚 𝒂 𝒅𝒊𝒔𝒄𝒐 𝒃𝒂𝒍𝒍,
𝑰 𝒄𝒂𝒏 𝒔𝒕𝒊𝒍𝒍 𝒇𝒆𝒆𝒍 𝒎𝒚 𝒉𝒆𝒂𝒅 𝒐𝒏 𝒚𝒐𝒖𝒓 𝒔𝒉𝒐𝒖𝒍𝒅𝒆𝒓
𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒉𝒐𝒑𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝒔𝒐𝒏𝒈 𝒘𝒐𝒖𝒍𝒅 𝒏𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒓 𝒃𝒆 𝒐𝒗𝒆𝒓 ❞

𝑳𝒂𝒅𝒚 𝑨𝒏𝒕𝒆𝒃𝒆𝒍𝒍𝒖𝒎

* * * * * * *

T H E A

"I'm still not happy about you living together." My dad mutters and I roll my eyes, not in the mood to have this debate for the fifth time. Yes, the fifth god damn time.

"Kane, give it a rest." My mom scolds as she sits down at the table with us, picking up her cutlery and tucking into her breakfast.

"What?" He questions. "She isn't old enough."

I narrow my eyes, resting my arm on the table. "I'm almost twenty-one." I tell him and he looks over at me, holding his hands up in annoyance.

"Exactly." He scoffs. "Too young."

I catch Rio shift beside me his seat from the corner of my eye and I scoff at my dad's reply. "And when exactly will I be old enough then?"

He shrugs his shoulders nonchalantly. "I don't know, forty?"

Forty? Is this man actually for real?

"I'll look after her, Kane." Rio says as he places his hand on my thigh comfortingly under the table.

"I know you will. It's just.. you can look after when she's older. She's still mine to look after." He replies his voice growing quieter as he glances down at the table.

One thing about my dad is that he's such a family orientated person.. and a very protective one at that.  He's always been this way though so I don't think there's any changing him now.

"Dad, you're still looking after me." I assure him. "Just from afar now," I continue and he nods his head, focusing his attention on his food.

We're spending the night at our family lake house tonight, something my family always does as a Christmas tradition. Don't ask me why, it's just something I've always grown up doing.

My dad likes us to spend the first weekend of December together, away from the commotion and busy lives we lead here.

I guess it's quite nice really. All of us just spending two days away from everything, while we get to spend time with each other too.

Ellerie and Knox are also coming this time, so I'm excited for them to spend more time with my family, vice versa. I feel like now more than ever, Rio is part of me.. apart of my family and I absolutely love it.

"No no no no no!" Ellerie screams as she runs into the kitchen, jumping straight at Rio and onto his lap as Rex chases her, his large paws thudding against the hard floor. "That was scary," she exhales as she clings onto Rio's neck, wiping her forehead with the back of her hand dramatically.

Rex stands beside Rio's chair, his tongue hanging out of his mouth as he pants, his short tail wagging with excitement.

"What are you doing Ell?" Rio chuckles as he glances down at the dog before returning his focus on her.