CHAPTER XII

The following day I woke up with an excruciating headache. The sunlight entering the room through the chink in the curatins preventing me from opening my eyes fully.

I scanned the room and found Sarah sitting on the grey velvet sofa opposite to the bed. Her reading glasses perched on the bridge of croocked her. She was probably reading today's newspaper, holding it in such a position that it blocked her view of me.

"How did I get here?" My throat was parched and my voice came out rough. I tried and failed repeatedly to recollect yesterday night's events but nothing came to my mind.

Sarah lowered the newspaper and looked at me with a stern expression. I hoped that I hadn't done something too stupid.

"Good Morning to you too. Yesterday night you were quite the 'Dora- The Explorer'." Her sarcasm got the best out of me and I chuckled.

"I'm sorry." I implored.

"Are you serious? Firstly, you left the bar without even telling me. Secondly, Oliver and I went bonkers looking for you all over the city. We were about to file a missing complaint to the cops! And to top it off, we found you unconscious on some random street at 1 A.M.!"

I understood her concern for me and decided not to argue further. She folded the newspaper and kept it on the brown wooden table beside her. Then she sat on the bed beside me and cradled my face in her hands.

I actuallu felt a bit ashames for letting down my friend like that.

"What were you thinking, Brooke? This is New York! Anything could have happened."

I hugged her and apologized several times until the realisation hit me. Because of my stupid stunt we had missed our flight back home!

"Shit! We missed our flight. How are we going to get back home. I'm so stupid!" I babbled.

"Oh shut up! The flight has been rescheduled tomorrow. Now please improve your appearance, we have a party to attend."

"What? Which party?"

"Brooklyn, they didn't just call you here so that you could promote your book and dash off, of course they want something in return. Sincorp is throwing a party today for their new brand launch. We have to be there."

This revelation was not known to me.

"And don't worry about your attire, I have got it covered." She answered before I even asked. That's why I loved this person.

"Sarah, I was wondering what happened between Oliver and you last night?" Her eyes widened in surprise and she couldn't hide her grin.

"Oh! Come on, Sarah, don't be a granny and just tell me."

************************************

So, I'm officially not a social animal, unless, my work demands me to be-of course!

It was 5 o' clock in the evening and 'The Plaza' Hotel was lit up with the chattering throng. I felt like a useless element as I stood at the corner, my eyes wandering here and there to search for Sarah.

She left me here- Alone! whilst she was currently busy with Oliver and his group of friends. I tugged at the right sleeves of my emerald green dress, it's rough material making it unbearable for me to cease moving. On top of that, my heels were not comforting at all.

I was surely happy for her but she shouldn't have just left me here. I didn't know anybody here and me trying to socialize was a celestial occuring!

Amidst all this hubub, I didn't realize when he came and said "Brooke, What are you doing here?"

I squeezed my eyes shut and hoped he was not who I thought he was. I turned around, my dress twirling in the process and was utterly shocked to see Will standing in front of me. His slick, brown hair were cropped shorter than the last time I'd seen him.