14 - The Introduction

Vondra didn't move. 

"Princess Vondra?"

Wondering, Can this really be happening? Is this some kind of sick dream that will turn into a nightmare?

"Princess?" Anton repeated.

Unable to comprehend and know what was happening anymore...

Only bad things happen to me...

Afraid to follow Anton...

"Princess Vondra?"

She found her voice...

"Sorry Anton; I'm not prepared for this... it's been a shock to me... everything here... It's like I'm not, I don't, I don't feel it is real..."

Closing his eyes, as in sympathy, Anton opened them, saying, "I cannot begin to imagine, Princess. But all bad things do come to an end. Perhaps, if you follow me, I can show you to a waiting chamber where you can freshen up if you don't feel ready yet."

"Oh... but, I should be ready, Anton, this is a moment I could never have ever dared to believe could be true. You have no idea just how ready I am to see my grandmother again. So wonderful to see her now and not having to waiting until heaven... but it all seems so... so... false and it can only end in disappointment..." 

"You should follow me now, and see the reality, Princess. I believe Her Majesty is in her private sitting room. She has been there all afternoon, praying for the safety of Tutela, it's army and the guards. She calls them all by name and could never forget you. It will be a wonderful surprise, a blessing indeed, to see you."

Her Majesty? Grandmother... Weariness such as she had never known, flooded Vondra. She felt as though she wasn't really here... how could she be here when her grandparents were dead? 

"Come, Princess, please. Believe me, all will be well."

She followed Anton like someone sleep-walking...

Knocking and opening the queen's private sitting room door as he was permitted to do, Anton stepped inside and announced; "Queen Anne-Marie, I have the privilege and joy of announcing your granddaughter, Princess..." he did not finish the sentence but stopped because as well as the Queen standing, he saw that she had a baby in her arms.

Rising from a chair with a high back towards the door, was a young man whom he did not recognize as he turned to look at him and Vondra.

"Oh, Marm, Sir, I'm very sorry, but I did not know... this gentleman did not come through the front door, and I... but..."

It was too late. Vondra was already stepping forward from Anton's side.

Her grandmother, the woman Anton called 'Queen Anne-Marie' wore the clothes of a queen and held a baby— not just any baby. It was HIS baby. Marcina; fast asleep.

Before Vondra's glance leapt across to the man who stared at her speechlessly, she knew who he was.

"I'm sorry... but, we are... intruding?" Anton stammered this query, adding, "Shall we come back?"

Before anyone could speak, Vondra did something she had never done before in her life.

Perhaps it was that she had only had one glass of water all day... or, had not eaten, only that one plum since the night when she left the farm-inn with Prince Sharzor; too many shocks; the bump on the back of her head; the effort she extended up on the Western Wall to save the kingdom from destruction; then, seeing her grandfather alive as king of the unreal place called Tutela, a so called safe-place— Her unbridled tears... and his admonition. Her grandmother, right here, now... alive, also, Grandfather...

"You're a weapon and weapons don't weep." 

The feeling she was in a long nightmare where good surprises happened only to be whisked away from her grasp, caused her to sway on her feet, unable to think or reason anymore...

Vondra crumbled into a deep faint down into the plush carpet of the floor.