6 - Captured

It was just past dawn and slithers of golden rays pierced tiny chinks in the thick shutters at the small windows. The prince pointed at them and two of his men rushed to open them.

Cool morning drafts battled with and overcame the air that had been warmly imprisoned. Stepping to the bedside, he commanded, "Wake her!"

Two men-at-arms sheathed their swords and dragged back the covers.

Together with their master, they stared in awe at the beautiful young woman lying curled around the tiny baby who stirred and raised one hand as in stretching it. The fingers of the other tiny hand were curled around Vondra's fore-finger.

Unwinding the baby's fingers from Vondra's, the prince scooped her into his large hands, drawing her close to his face, kissing her brow. She broke into a volley of sobs. Shaking his head, wanting to know for sure, he stepped to the base of the large bed. Placing her down he rolled up the bottom of the unfamiliar, oversized gown, feeling for her feet. Lifting her right foot to view the sole, he said, "This is indeed my babe."

Turning to hide his spilling tears, he wrapped the fine wool lace shawl he had brought, around his daughter, hugging her close. He had contemplated he would have to bury her in that very shawl, one knitted by her loving mother, his lost love.

The baby, feeling his cold face, sobbed all the more in the manner of a young bairn in shock.

Vondra, who had slept the sleep of the dead, had felt the baby pulled from her finger, and the cooler air she now breathed caused her to sense she was uncovered. Waiting as long as she could bear, she lifted her eyelids before lifting her hands as if to fend off enemies, she sat and swung herself around to sit on the side of the bed, bowing her head.

Stepping backwards, the men waited for orders from their master, the prince.

Lurching forward, Vondra snatched her cloak from the one chair in the room and flung it around her shoulders, covering her scant lace chemise, which barely covered her thighs.

The man rocked his baby, trying to calm her.

Comprehending, this was the father of the baby, Vondra turned her back while dragging her day gown over her head. Lacing the crisscross ties untidily at the front, she called, "The baby will be hungry. There's milk downstairs in the pantry. I fed her sometime after midnight. They brought a bottle up here for her. She was crying, just like she is now..."

The prince stepped closer and said loudly, "I'll have the milk brought here, and you will feed her. Meanwhile, you will hold her for me." The deepness and volume of his voice caused his daughter to scream in terror.

Taking the baby from him, Vondra sat in the chair. Curling her little finger, she allowed the babe to suck on her knuckle. Satisfied for now, the baby, her eyes on Vondra's face stopped sucking to smile.

"She smiled?" Captain Kogan queried.

"She's smiled at me several times," Vondra said, adding, "she seems very knowing for a newborn."

The men stared at her, sitting like a noble-women would, as though unconcerned that strangers had invaded her bedchamber.

When the innkeeper's wife brought the warm milk in the soft skin bottle, Vondra soon had her feeding. The prince sat on the side of the bed and asked, "Who are you?—And how is it that you have my baby?"

Vondra wanted to ask him how he had found her, but instead she answered his second question, "I rescued her from the hillside, Sir... she had been left there to die..."

"How do you know that?— And who left her there to die?"

"I overheard a conversation, Sir. A woman at an inn was given the baby and told to do it."

"Do what?"

"Feed her so that she would not cry, then take her beyond the frost line on the hillside and leave her there. She, the woman, was given a bag of coins."

The two men-at-arms stepped to the window, and one said, "Your Highness!— Horses are coming down the hillside toward the village— Two differing standards and colors but I can't tell their uniforms as yet but you might know Sir."

Standing, the prince commanded, "Tell the farm woman to fill another bottle with milk. We must leave now." He took the baby and bottle from Vondra.

"Take me with you, Sir," Vondra begged, adding fervently, "Please." Having digested the word, 'Highness',  she told herself, He is a prince! I should be safe with him... But he was asking a question...

"Why should I? Who are you?"

Hesitating, but not for long, Vondra answered, "I'm like your child, Sir. There are those who seek my life. I cannot stay at the village here. I have only rested because I have been caring for your child... and I've paid for a room, to save your child... I, I am a fugitive, escaping injustice..."

"How did you pay for this room?"

"I have coins, a few in my bundle-bag and some I sewed into the seams of my cloak..."

"Sir, we must go now!" Captain Hogan urged.

Rolling his eyes, the prince, speaking to Vondra, ordered, "Gather your things and come quickly."

Vondra stepped into her boots and laced them. Dragging off the cloak, she flung the green side of it around her shoulders so the black lining was on the outer. She felt the baby thrust into her arms, and drew the cloak around the infant.

The men-at-arms gestured her to walk between them and they guided her down a  narrow step-way, one in front of her and one behind all the way along a corridor then out the back door of the inn.

Glancing back, she saw the other three men-at-arms on horses with three large dogs loping alongside the another, their master's horse. Memories from the past assailed her and she smiled; the dogs were a familiar sign of safety to her.

With horses in pursuit they cantered the horses out of the village, across a grassy field and on to a road. The sky was now overcast, clouds hiding the risen sun.

Vondra had been lifted to ride in front of the prince and for the first time since her escape from her home kingdom, she savored a feeling of safety.

One, the large hound, quickened the length of his lope and came close to the prince's horse, running beside him, his eyes looking up at Vondra.

The horses galloped for over twenty minutes, then they were climbing. After half an hour, the road shrank to a lane, still climbing. It became a mere track, rocky and narrow. The horses in front did not falter and Vondra guessed the animals had traversed here before.

She heard the captain's voice from behind, "Sir, they've fallen behind."

"Good. Keep the pace up as hard as possible," he called back.

The journey seemed endless and Vondra felt thankful the baby slept; she imagined it might be due to the motion of the climbing horse.

Guided through a narrow pass between cliffs by a group of men who seemed on guard there, they rode into icy air blasting down from the mountain peaks ahead. Hugging the whimpering baby closer, Vondra turned her head into the man's chest. On and upward they climbed until all around was white. Clouds swirled in the gale and it was almost impossible to see a foot ahead.

Vondra wished she had not been so impulsive, begging to come. It was felt like the she was at the top end of the earth. She had seen the tall mountains but had never dreamed people would ride this far up them. What is ahead?—She wondered, wishing she could return to the warmth of the farmhouse.

When they dismounted, blizzard-like snow swirled around them, and all Vondra could see was white.

The fresh snow came to her knees and she knew she could not walk and hold the baby at the same time.

She felt herself swept into strong arms and looked up into the prince's face. He frowned down at her and asked, "Why so frightened?"

She had no answer but turned her face into the shelter and thickness of his cloak.