2 - A Baby Condemned to Die

Vondra trod the last steps into the center of a small village nestled in a valley. She dropped the bundle, replenished her flask from the well, sipped enough to feel hydrated and slid down the stone-wall to rest in its shadow from the afternoon sun.

She realized she had travelled non-stop for hours today, more than other days, having avoided a huge kingdom set high in the mountains. Having no idea as to the name of the kingdom and not caring but thinking, Even if this is not a place that will keep me hidden in plain sight, I feel I've arrived. I'm done. Perhaps this little village is the place. I won't go to the large city in the mountains but live here... perhaps?

Reminding herself of another of her grandmother's mantra's she told herself, 'Live one day at a time, for this time, this moment, today, is all you have to live right now.'

Physically exhausted as well as in spirit and soul, she slept the deepest sleep she had ever known. That it had only been a little over an hour was a big surprise. She closed her eyes again.

The sun had slipped far out of sight when she woke to the sound of horses arriving on the other side of the wall. She waited.

A door-knocker hammered and Vondra heard the sound of the door opening. The man asked, "I want to see a mid-wife, one who will run an errand for me in the night, tonight." He waited.

A female voice spoke, "Yes, Sir? I's not a fully qualified mid-wife but I's brought a few into this world when Jendie wasn't available. Wot's it worth?"

The sound of a money bag came to Vondra's ears. He asked, "Have you ever had to send any younglings on in the case of them being deformed?"

"Yes, Sir," the young woman answered with enthusiasm. "I's had to deal with them that have marks too, those who are cursed, to make it safe for us alive. I takes them, feeds them so they don't cry and then carry them up beyond the frost line on the northern hill I do. Little fellas don't feel a thing."

As the man spoke, he drew a bundle from beneath his cloak. Cries like those of a baby sounded, growing louder and more urgent. "Here. It don't have marks but it be really cursed. Take it, feed it so it won't cry like you said then carry it beyond that frost line on the northern hill and leave it there —here, and this be all for you." Coins clinked as in a money-bag. "We've not been here... you did not see me." He must have turned away, then back, warning, "If that child is found alive, and we will know, there will be nowhere on this earth where you can hide. 'Twill be men from the king, like I, who will find you!"

The door closed and the man strode away. Hoof-beats sounded, accelerating. Vondra stood and looked over the wall and saw the silhouette of the man on the horse disappearing over the rise of the narrow clay lane.

Vondra saw another man tether his horse and pull a food bag from the back of the saddle. Taking a wine flask from the bag, he walked around the side of the inn, disappearing from Vonda's view.

Vondra shivered, not from cold, it wasn't cold here yet, but it would be on that northern hill. A baby had been condemned to die tonight, and Vondra wondered what she could do, if anything, to save it. She slid down to sit and ponder.

Is it a girl, or a boy?—Or, does it matter? It's a child, a human, sentenced to die without a chance at life. At least, I have had a chance, I still have chances, and choices. What can I do about this? Should I do anything?

What does a king have to do with the babe? Perhaps he's like my father and can have babies, children and adults destroyed at will.

The only thing that came to her mind was, I can pray for this babe. God will take care of him or her. He's helped me so far. God, please help that little bairn... but... should I help?