8 - Two Princesses Bathe

With Tonja's help, Vondra learned, in theory, how to wash a tiny babe. First of all, to hold her with one hand around the babe's upper arm, supporting her beneath her little body with her large forearm so she would not drown, even though immersed in the warm water up to her chin. This was done with one arm and hand so her other could use the washcloth.

Vondra, trying to hold Marcina as Tonja had done so easily, felt overcome with such responsibility.

"Please, Tonja, I'm finding this quite complicated and I think you should bathe her this time. She's only a week old and is the first baby I've bathed," Vondra confessed, adding, "likely it's her first bath. I will watch closely. I've only ever helped children to bathe, not babies." She almost blurted... and if I drown her, then the prince will surely have my life ended...

Tonja took over. She soaped Marcina's head and hair before gently sponging it and rinsing it off. Next, her small face was carefully washed, using a thin absorbent cloth. Tonja carefully wiped the back of her ears and as far in the little channel as her smallest finger would go which was not far at all.

Looking up into Tonja's face, the babe burst into tears. Nothing Tonja could do or say stopped the tears and the servant looked across at Vondra.

"Hey, hey, little baby Marcina," Vondra said softly, leaning in so Marcina could see her. The tears were gone and a thin smile appeared.

Tiny toes and miniature fingers were each soaped and wiped clean and every crevice in the small body cleansed.

Every time Vondra moved away, the baby whimpered but as soon as she saw her 'nanny's' face again, she smiled.

"She surely has bonded with you Marie, it's like magic," Tonja said with awe in her tone.

After being dried and dressed in a tiny fresh breechcloth and gown, Tonja said, "I'll take her to the nursery and feed her there while you bathe, see, over there, behind the partition, there's a partially sunken bath with a tray like floor circling it. There are five in this facility. I've turned the faucet on making the water flow perpetually, flowing over near the top into vents in the tray. The water comes from beneath the mountain and this time of year, it's the right temperature but in summer time, we have to fill the bath then either leave it to cool or add cold water. But then, sometimes it can be random so take care if it suddenly gets too hot."

Taking Marcina from Vondra, she said, "I'll put her in a crib to sleep when she's finished feeding. Jean will bring clothes for you and help you dress and fix your hair if you want. Then she'll show you to the nursery where you can watch over your little charge. Oh, and be careful not to swallow any of the bath water as it is not normal water but full of minerals. Good for the body but not so good if you swallow it." She half laughed, twisting her face as if in the pain she had experienced. 

Remembering the only time she had bathed herself properly since escaping from her kingdom, was in cold creek water and a basin at the farm inn had been the only other place where she could gain water to sponge little Marcina whom she had lain on the small towel that had been provided. Vondra felt an urgent necessity to take this bath. It was a luxury she had enjoyed most days when she lived in her father's castle and more often when she stayed with her grandparents. And always, she had the luxury of servant-women to assist her.

Pleased that Marcina had not sobbed or even whimpered when Tonja walked away with her, Vondra was soon soaking in the warm water, lying back and putting her hair beneath the water with just her face visible. She leaned back on the edge of the tub and closed her eyes, relaxing, feeling she was in some kind of heaven.

The intake holes were behind her back and the pulse of water could be felt from her neck down. She wished she could stay here for the rest of the day but now felt extreme thirst.

A shrill voice broke her repose...

"Well, hello there! I'm Jean, and this is Esme and we've..."

Sitting up and sloshing the water over the edge into the surrounding tray-like floor startled the two newcomers and together they stepped out of the tray, removing their wet slippers to return.

"Sorry," Vondra offered.

"It's all right," Esme said, "I'll wash your hair and Jean can start at the other end." She giggled.

With Jean massaging her feet with a foaming cream, Vondra sighed as Esme worked her hair into a lather, massaging her scalp. She closed her eyes and could imagine she was in a bathtub in the safety of her grandparents' castle, enjoying bathing there... If only, she mused, I miss them so much...

Esme massaged her back with oil.

"Mmmm, you were right," Jean said, looking at Esme who nodded.

Vondra missed that this was a pass of some kind of knowledge and Esme interrupted her thoughts...

"We'll leave you to enjoy your soak. Most of us take a bath at nights or some bathe first thing in the morning, so you can stay as long as you want. We'll go and see if little Marcina is sleeping and fetch towels and clothes for you," Jean said, adding "she was hungry and fed well."

Time had no meaning as Vondra again relaxed into the delicious feel of such reviving, refreshing waters. It did not feel as warm now but she realized that this was normal. As her body was used to the warmth, she would have liked a pitcher of hotter water to be added.

She mused, One could cook in summer time if it is a lot hotter and they have to add cold water... it would be delicious if it was it bit hotter... but oh how thirsty I am...

The sound of a door opening was followed by boots walking.

A voice— HIS voice called to her, "Marie, where are you? I hope she's here..."

Sitting up a bit, allowing only her shoulders to show above the water, Vondra waited.

"Where's Marcina?" He demanded the second he saw her. "Where is my daughter? Who else is here?" Not waiting for an answer, he called to his captain, "Go and search every chamber in this section, hurry."

Turning back to Vondra, he accused her, "You should get out of the bath now!"

"I have no towel or clothes," she protested, hating his tone.

"So, what did you do with Marcina?"

"Jean and Esme took her to the nursery to feed her... and they went to check that she is asleep."

"That is your task," he snapped.

The men returned from their search, not only the five who had accompanied them here, but also half a dozen Tutela guards.

"We'll go to the nursery. Some of you will stay at the outer door here, on guard."'

Vondra could only wonder about what kind of dilemma had happened that he should be so worried. She decided to enjoy the rest of the bath while hoping that Jean and Esme would come soon. Settling back with her shoulders beneath the wonderful water, she closed her eyes.

Her troubled mind again thought of the prince's loss of his young wife and the abduction of his baby, Surely he has reason to be paranoid that his baby will be stolen again, and at the least he thinks of me, I'm the one to whom he entrusted Marcina; I should feel honored, not peeved... I've got to stop thinking about him and just enjoy where I am, here, right now...

But try as she could to get him out of her mind, her heart did not obey...