Five: "That's what we in the business call a callback" - September 18

Start from the beginning

"Sheesh, you tweet at Dream once..." Lilac mumbled to herself, chewing lightly on the inside of her cheek. A degree of internet fame had handed itself to her without asking, and now she had the choice of taking it in stride or walking away. Her brain was firing on all cylinders, trying to figure out what to do, trying to figure out all the different variables and possible outcomes.

"Don't think, just do," Andi spoke up, and Lilac whipped her head toward her roommate, who was busy setting up her own stream for the day.

"How did you know I needed to hear that?" Lilac asked, suddenly very glad Andi was there.

"I know you," Andi said, tossing her short hair over her shoulder, "And also, you're doing that thing." She pantomimed Lilac's actions on her own face and Lilac stopped chewing on her cheek at once, laughing lightly.

"You know me too well," Lilac determined, climbing up onto her bed and sitting cross-legged.

"What's going on?" Andi asked, leaning back in her chair. "What has you so stressed? Talk to me."

"Sap introducing me to his friends has been a lot of fun and I really enjoy talking to them, but if I want to interact on Twitter or Twitch or anything, a million people are going to be monitoring my every word." Andi raised an eyebrow.

"A million people monitor your every word when you're on my streams, too," She pointed out, and Lilac leaned back to lay flat on her bed.

"Yeah, but that's different," She tried to explain.

"Why?" Andi asked simply, and it was a great question, it made Lilac stop and think.

"Yeah," Lilac realized, sitting up straight again. "I guess it's not any different, is it?"

"Nope," Andi confirmed. "It's the same situation twice. I think it's a little harder for your brain to process since Sap's friends are new to your life, but hey! They won't be for long, they'll be old friends before you know it and it'll all feel natural." Lilac let one long leg hang off of her bed. She propped the other knee up so she could rest her arm over it as she looked at Andi.

"You are one intelligent young lady," Lilac said to her. "You are my best friend, I wouldn't trade you for anyone else." Andi looked up at Lilac with a grin.

"I love you too, Lilac, but Sap's going to kill me for taking his place as your bestie." Lilac rolled her eyes.

"Sap's basically my brother, he'll be fine," She said, and Andi chuckled.

"I think it's so sweet that you two have that relationship. He's your... what do you call him? Your something brother?"

"Surrogate brother," Lilac filled in, smiling as she thought of him. "He really is. Love that kid to pieces."

"Well, tell your surrogate brother to stop texting you so much," Andi said, nodding to Lilac's phone that was constantly lighting up. "It's my turn to have you for a stream."

"Mom said it's my turn to use Lilac for clout!" Lilac mimed in a high, childlike voice, making Andi giggle.

"I'll see what he wants," Lilac said, guessing that it was indeed Sap texting her, "But you do still have me for your stream, I wouldn't pass up the chance to playtest your game again."

"So much has changed since the last time you played, but I'll fill you and chat in at the same time. Go forth, answer Sap before he explodes." Andi went back to setting up her stream, sending a chuckling Lilac to look at her phone. She clicked on the Discord message and opened a message from Sapnap, which turned out to be a group chat she'd been added to.