33

CHAPTER THIRTY THREE
THE SET UP

CHAPTER THIRTY THREETHE SET UP

"I don't understand."

"Don't understand what?" Chey queried. "About using the power? It's quite simple really–"

"No," Montana interrupted her uncle. "I don't understand why you thought it was a good idea to get frosted tips whilst you were away."

Chey stopped in the middle of the basement, his expression faltering. "Seriously, Montana?"

Montana failed to prevent the corners of her mouth teasing upwards. "Did Kaia let you do it? Because unless it was for a joke, I can't imagine she'd have encouraged that."

"She did, actually," Chey replied. Montana, remaining unconvinced, quirked an eyebrow. "Fine, she did it for a joke."

"And you fell for it?!"

Chey gave her an exasperated look. "Listen, are you here to laugh at me or learn more about your powers?"

"Both," Montana answered. Chey sighed heavily in defeat. She grinned playfully at him. "All right, fine, help me out. I'm pissed I didn't get to go to that training session thing."

"That's because you're not part of the battle," Chey pointed out. "In fact, you're going to be as far away from it as possible. With your parents and Kota. Out of Washington."

"Oh, come on," Montana complained. "Look, I totally get not being part of the actual battle – I definitely don't feel like dying with only three days notice – but do I really have to leave?"

Chey scoffed. "Trust me, it'd be out of the country if Jacob had anything to do with it." Montana caught a spark of curiosity flashing in his eyes. "Speaking of Jacob..." Uh oh. "What's going on there?"

She cleared her throat and, not seeing another way out of the situation, glanced away from him. Montana focused her attention firmly elsewhere, a little dark patch of mold on the wall, hoping that her expression wouldn't give anything away. "What do you mean?"

"You're not fooling anyone," Chey chuckled. "In fact, we're all placing bets on when you'll finally reveal you're together. Mine's on the end of summer, so if you could just hold off until then–"

Montana whirled back around. "You're placing bets?!"

"Yeah," he shrugged nonchalantly.

"With who?!"

"All the adults."

"All the– What?! You're all in on it?!" Montana's voice had become higher pitched than it ever had before, and she had absolutely no idea how to stop it.

"It's just a bit of fun–"

"But Jake and I aren't even officially dating!"

Chey's eyebrows pulled together. "You're not?"