29

CHAPTER TWENTY NINE
JUICED

It had been a few weeks since Montana and Jacob had kissed

Despite sharing their watch shifts with the Cullen's, almost all of the pack's time was taken up by patrolling, or sleeping off their exhaustion. Sam had them on tight and rigorous schedules, which meant that Montana had barely spent longer than ten minutes alone with Jacob in weeks.

In one way, she was glad. It gave her a chance to think about the feelings between the two of them, and what their kiss meant going forwards. On the other hand, the distance was literally killing her. She missed him, painfully, and she wanted everything to go back to normal again.

Stupid vampires, always causing problems.

Victoria hadn't actually been spotted in the area for a while, but they all knew she'd be back, it was just a matter of when. Everyone was on edge, including Montana, who had been having some very strange, vivid and intense nightmares about the creatures – she did not want to go into detail about those, but she was relentlessly made fun of by Dakota.

To keep herself occupied, Montana had picked up more shifts at the diner. Diane had taken a week off to study for exams, though Dina seemed to be working whenever she possibly could. Montana thought this was funny, since Dina was actually the one with finals, and Diane had never seemed to care much about tests before. (She later found out that Dina was saving up to go on a road trip with her friends before college, so it made more sense as to why she was scrambling to get every shift possible.)

It was a refreshing change to spend time with Dina, and Montana even felt like she was making a new friend, which was nice. They had a lot more in common than she'd had initially expected, including a huge shared obsession with Destiny's Child, which meant that it naturally became a right of passage to play their songs whenever they closed up at night.

Dina had the perfect balance of work ethic and fun, so their shifts seemed to fly by, especially when they were engrossed in conversation. Montana was learning a lot about her, including that she was expecting to go to Yale after school, to study law, which was fucking awesome, and Montana was really starting to see why Quil had such a massive crush on her – Speaking of, Dina was very confused as to why she hadn't seen him for over a month now. In fact, Montana even detected a hint of disappointment, which was definitely going to tell him about.

She felt bad not being able to tell Dina anything substantial, but did promise that Quil would be back soon. Dina didn't seem entirely convinced, and, to be fair, it was warranted; Montana was quite a horrible liar, and Dina was incredibly smart, so it was natural that she'd be suspicious.

The two of them were clearing up on an, unusually quiet, Saturday night. Their normal aimless chatter had been replaced by Montana accidentally spilling that she and Jacob had kissed. It was quite a regrettable moment, since Jacob was coming to pick her up after her shift, for the first time in weeks – actually, for the first time since the kiss, so, yeah, it was understandable that Montana was a little on edge. Especially since Dina was, to put it lightly, very excited to hear about their recent romantic developments, and though she promised to "play it cool" when Jacob arrived, Montana didn't feel fully reassured.