34

CHAPTER THRITY FOUR
FOREVER

"So, I was thinking about horror film rules," Embry began

"So, I was thinking about horror film rules," Embry began. He lay on his front, chin propped up on his hands, elbows digging into the sandy beach beneath him. "And vampires and werewolves are horror movie creatures, right?"

Quil was looking straight at him, but Montana had noticed that his eyes were distant, probably only half paying attention to the conversation. Jacob's mind was entirely elsewhere, and had been all day, distracted by staring at the harsh waves lapping against the shore.

Montana was drifting between getting stuck in the anxious pit of thoughts in her head, and trying her best to stay present and grounded. She realised, as the only one actually actively listening to Embry's musings, it was up to her to give him the satisfaction of responding.

"Right," she said, tuning back into the conversation properly. Werewolves. Vampires. Horror movies – not something she was massively well versed on (Montana preferred Rom Coms) but she could handle it.

"So, as it goes in horror movies, the virgin never dies," Embry explained. "Which, you know, sucks for me, but at least you guys will be safe."

"Embry," Montana started exasperatedly. "We all know you're still a virgin."

He scoffed in offence. "Am not."

"And when did this happen then?" Quil joined the conversation properly, raising his brows expectantly.

Embry shrugged. "At the Cullen's party."

Montana shook her head dismissively. "As if."

"It happened!"

"Yeah, with who?" Quil interrogated.

Embry pressed his lips together. "Unfortunately, I'm not at liberty to say."

Montana burst into laughter. "Because you're a fucking liar!"

Quil chuckled alongside her. "You come up with such bullshit, man."

"It's true!" Embry protested. "I'm not lying!"

"But you were with us most of the night," Montana pointed out.

"Not the whole night."

"Most of it."

"No, you and Jake were talking to Carlisle in his study," Embry recalled. "And Quil was downstairs with Dakota trying to hit on Dina and Sian."

"And you were with him," Montana reminded.  Quil's brows drew together as he seemed to cast his mind back. "Right?" she prompted.

Quil looked up at her. "He wasn't actually."

Embry clapped his hands together. "Thank you!"

"Wait, so who is this mysterious girl then?" Montana questioned. "Assuming it's a girl..."