Chapter One

Cebu City...

It was only yesterday when he finally got his MBA degree from Harvard Business School. He was having a blast night with his friends when he received a long-distance call from his father.

"What is it, Father?"

"Pack your things now. I already book your flight and you'll be leaving Boston tonight."

"What? What the hell, Dad? I'm in a middle of a celebration with my friends!"

"Just do as I tell you, Nikkos."

He gritted his teeth when the line ended. He had no choice but to bid goodbye to his friends who were all shocked. They were asking questions like what was the problem but he shrugged them off. He was groomed to keep his mouth shut when it comes to family matters.

It wasn't new to him. His father had done that so many times he lost count. Killjoy? Bummer? Nah. It was just his father bossing him around and he was so fucking used to it. He had been following him since the day he was born. Don Cedric Aboitiz's number one hobby was to dominate the people around him and boy, he didn't take NO for an answer. He better obey him or else someone would drag his ass out right there and then. His father's connections were limitless. He had eyes everywhere.

So, from the club, he went straight to their house in Boston, packed his things, and went to the airport without wasting a single minute. A nineteen hours flight drove him up the wall. Kanina pa sumasakit ang ulo niya. Wala siyang tulog at ni hindi niya magawang matulog dahil sa kakaisip kung bakit biglaan ang pagpapa-uwi sakaniya ng ama. Sure, he enjoyed dominating and manipulating people but he would not do that without a damn reason.

Finally, the airplane landed. He was walking fast, ignoring the people staring intently at him. He wanted to scoff. These people...parang nakakita ng artista. Surprise, surprise, he was more than just a celebrity. His family name spoke more than just fame. They spoke power, fortune, influence, and elegance. They were part of high society, elite and well-known. Isa si Nikkos sa sinasabing, pinanganak na may gintong kutsara sa bibig. And it was not only a golden spoon, dude. Kasama sa paglabas niya sa mundong ito ang kalahati ng yaman ng pamilya Aboitiz. He was the Golden Boy. Nag-iisang lalaki from sixth generation at siyang inaasahang mag ma-manage ng lahat ng negosyo ng pamilya. Their businesses were everywhere. Halos pagmamay-ari nila ang kalahati ng Cebu. Walang kahit isang tao sa lugar na 'yon ang hindi makakakilala sa bawat myembro ng pamilya Aboitiz.

"Sir Nikkos!"

He stopped and roamed his eyes around. He found Pia—the very reliable and long-time efficient secretary of his father. The woman was in her forties. Slim, petite, and clear tan skin. Gabi na pero naka corporate attire pa rin ito at nakatali ang buhok sa isang tight bun. Napailing siya sa sarili. This was one of the oh-so-overtime work she needed to do for his father.

Sinenyasan nito si Mang Gerry—ang family driver ng pamilya. Tatlumpu't-limang taon na itong naninilbihan sakanila kasama ang asawang si Manang Tess na siya namang mayordoma sa kanilang mansiyon.

Gerry took his luggage. He followed them. Malalim siyang napabuntong-hininga ng makasakay ng sasakyan.

"Pia, can we stop at the nearest coffee shop? My head is really aching." He closed his eyes and massaged the bridge of his nose.

"No problem, Sir." Tugon nito mula sa passenger seat.

Ilang saglit lang ay huminto si Gerry at rinig niya ang kaluskos sa naging paglabas ni Pia ng sasakyan. Hindi siya nag abalang idilat ang mga mata o sabihin rito ang timpla ng kape niya. She had been working in their family for half of her life. Alam nito kahit ang kaliit-liitang impormasiyon sa buhay nila. And a simple Americano was not hard to memorize, was it?