Chapter Twenty-Seven: Black Licorice

"You what?" Luke asked gently. Ashton knew that the blonde boy had heard him clearly, but he didn't want to take it back. It was too late—in more ways than one.

"I love you. I'm in love with you. Not Kelsey," Ashton rambled, feeling his cheeks flush red. He could hear his pulse throbbing louder and louder in his ears.

"But..." Luke furrowed his brows.

"But? I know it's horrible. I know you want me to break up with her, and I will. But, I have to tell you how you make me feel. You're my happiness. Whether you're making little pastries or singing to yourself in your adorable bedroom, you make me feel better than any diet or girlfriend ever has," Ashton just spilled. All of the guilt poured his feelings over the surface.

"Ashton..." Luke bit his lip. He looked at Ashton with soft pools of cerulean. He had such a way with puppy dog eyes.

"You don't think the same thing?" Ashton asked softly.

"I do care for you, but I—" He sighed and looked down at the floor, "I can't...I-I can't be your second choice. I wanna be your Kelsey..." The cerulean pools welled with fat tears. Ashton's full heart shattered with the fresh drops of salty sadness. His suspicions were correct. Someone did get hurt.

"Oh," was all Ashton could say.

"I'm more than willing to love you, but you have to do what's good for me too. You know that," Luke softly touched Ashton's hand. Ashton felt a new, strange type of chill up his forearm.

"Break up with her?" Ashton gulped.

"Yes," Luke sighed, almost exhausted. Ashton made him feel that way. It was all his fault. He could forgive himself for the running around, maybe even for pretending to be straight, but hurting Luke was a crime against humanity. He deserved to be
rejected—even if his heart was on the table.

"Okay, I understand," Ashton sunk back against the couch.

"You do?" Luke furrowed his brows, "because, I've asked you so many times now, Ashton. If you really love me, you'll do it tonight! Tomorrow! I want someone to love me in private! Is it about her? Or is it about me being a man?"

No, no baby...no, angel, darling, sweetheart...my reason for living.

"No, it's complicated. Way more complicated than you think," Ashton said with a frown.

"I can keep up," Luke whimpered.

"I'm working on me. I've never really been with a guy, Luke. You have to be patient with me," Ashton felt like crying too. He didn't want Luke to see him for the jerk he knew himself to be—the jerk who continuously lied and hurt Kelsey.

But then again, maybe it was best that Luke saw. Maybe two people didn't have to be continuously hurt.

Ashton waited for Luke to say something. All he did was nod.

"I need some time," Ashton added anxiously. "Let me think this through. I'm a little emotional right now."

"Take all the time you need," Luke stood, walking silently to his bedroom.