𝟎𝟑 ∘ weakness: dogs

Beginne am Anfang

Reaching down, Delilah scratched behind the canine's ear. "Yeah, he's good like that. Definitely saved me a few times before I could handle myself."

"Aimee would love Boy," Joel said more to himself than anything. "She loves dogs. I mean, all animals. She's a big animal lover. I can't believe it's been seven years."

At this, Delilah stopped scratching Boy. "Wait, you haven't seen her since the day the day they all changed?"

"Yeah," Joel confirmed. "That's why I'm trying to go find her. You know, I haven't told anyone this, but I'm kinda nervous about it."

Boy left Delilah's side to sit next to the chair where Joel was as if sensing his anxiety. Joel smiled down at the dog, leaning over to scratch him.

"What are you going to say to her when you find her?" the girl asked out of curiosity.

Joel fell quiet, not having expected the question. "I'm not sure. I got so caught up in the idea of finding her, I hadn't really thought about it."

"Might be something worth thinking about in case you make it to Jenner Beach, Joel Dawson."

"Yeah, probably," Joel laughed. His laughter died as he looked at her, "Wait, what do you mean 'in case'?"

Delilah regretted her words as soon as they were repeated back to her. "I didn't mean it like that. It's just. . . the world's a lot more dangerous now. Especially if you've been in a bunker for seven years."

There was a moment of silence between them, the two just staring at each other. Realising how awkward it was becoming, Delilah cleared her throat and looked away.

"Well, I hope she's worth it," she thought aloud.

"She is."

Delilah grabbed a spare blanket before tossing it to Joel. "Good luck tomorrow, then."

"Thanks," Joel said, accepting the blanket. "Good night, Boy. Good night, Delilah."

"Good night, Joel Dawson."

∙∙·▫▫ᵒᴼᵒ▫ₒₒ▫ᵒᴼᵒ▫ₒₒ▫ᵒᴼᵒ▫▫·∙∙

When morning rolled around Joel was the last awake. Brax was out doing one more sweep in search of supplies before they were to leave, while Delilah was packing the necessities into some backpacks.

Joel got his sketchbook out, continuing with a drawing he had started during the night when he had woken up. He looked down at Boy to see his dimensions, before detailing the canine in his drawing.

Hearing the sound of pencil scratching against paper, Delilah stopped what she was doing and looked over. Intrigued, she walked over and looked over the boy's shoulder. On the page was a drawing of Boy attacking a monster. She could only assume that it was a recreation of when he had saved Joel yesterday.

"Weakness: dogs," the boy mumbled to himself as he wrote in the book.

The other page also had an illustration, but of a different monster. Each of them had notes alongside them, like the weakness he had just written beside the mutated toad.

"What is that?" Delilah asked, sitting down beside him.

Joel looked at her, before handing her the book. "It's just something I've been doing over the years. Any time my colony or I came across a monster, I would record it in this journal. Just for like, future reference, you know?"

Delilah turned the pages, looking at each page. She could see the evolution of his drawing abilities over the years. There was refinement as the pages went on, the details becoming more noticeable as she turned the pages.