She removed the gag from my mouth as I opened my eyes with a raspy cough, allowing the air back into my lungs. Finn came over and helped Octavia pull the rope off my neck. I sat up, looking around for Murphy to see if he was okay.

It seemed like he was doing the same. We met eyes and I gave him a reassuring nod. His eyes were full of regret and apology. 

I looked up to see who had admitted to killing Wells, and saw everyone's eyes on... Charlotte? 

A twelve year old girl stabbed Wells? 

How?

Why?

***

Bellamy, Clarke and Finn had taken Charlotte inside Bellamy's tent to try to figure out what to do. Murphy wanted revenge. 

I understood why he wanted revenge. They tried to float us, even though we were innocent, however, I knew it wasn't right. It technically wasn't Charlotte's fault that we got hung. Yes, she should have owned up sooner and we wouldn't have been hung in the first place, but it was Connor's idea to float us. 

"Bring out the girl, Bellamy!" Murphy shouted. A crowd had gathered outside Bellamy's tent and Murphy was at the front of it.

"Murphy, stop it. Seriously, what are you gonna gain by killing a little kid? It's not gonna make you feel any better about yourself." I reasoned, hoping to persuade Murphy to cut it out.

"They hung you, too, Jordan. You gonna let that little bitch get away with that? It should have been her strung up, not you." Murphy spat. He turned his attention back to screaming at the closed tent. "Bring the girl out, now!" 

"Lee, thank God. You alright?" Jasper pushed his way through the crowd and to my side. I wrapped my arms tightly around my brother, which he returned. "I thought I was gonna lose you," he muttered.

"You're my brother, Jas. You're gonna have to be stuck with me for a lot longer than that." I chuckled in attempts to lighten the mood. 

We pulled away and Jasper reached out to touch my neck. I flinched as his fingertips made contact with the bruised skin. The swollen skin on my neck reminded me of the feeling of the air being ripped out of my lungs, the terrifying feeling of suffocating. 

"Shit, I'm sorry." He apologized frantically, pulling his hand away.

"It's fine, it's not your fault." I replied.

"You wanna build a society, princess? Let's build a society, bring her out!" Murphy yelled. 

After another minute or two, Bellamy emerged from the tent. 

"Well, well, look who decided to join us." Murphy sneered, stepping closer to Bellamy.

"Dial it down and back off." Bellamy spat.

"Or what? What are you gonna do, Bellamy, hang me?" Murphy countered.

"I was just giving the people what they wanted." Bellamy replied.

"Yeah." Murphy nodded. "That's a good idea. Why don't we do that right now?" He turned to the crowd of criminals. "So who here wants to see the real murderer hung up? All in favor?" Him and only a few other boys raised their hands.

"I see." Murphy said sarcastically. "So it's okay to string me - us," he gestured his hand to me. ", for nothing, but when this little bitch confesses, you wanna let her walk?" He shouted. "Cowards! All of you-"

"Murphy, enough!" I shouted. 

"It's over." Bellamy declared. 

"Whatever you say, boss." Murphy caved. Bellamy nodded and started walking away, not before Murphy grabbed a log and whacked him over the head with it. 

"You son of a bitch!" Octavia screamed, trying to charge at Murphy.

"Octavia, no." Jasper stepped in front of her, only to have Murphy greet him with a punch to the face.

"Come on, let's get the girl." 

word count: 1229

a/n: hey everyone im so so sorry my laptops been broken omg ive missed writing so much. hope yall liked this chapter. murphy and ophelia are gonna be pretty slow burn so im just warning u lol. suggestions, ideas, comments, etc. leave in the comments or pm me. stay hydrated, love you all xx