"We're going to the East Wing again," Peggy said, jarring Caleb.

"Sounds good to me," Caleb said a little airily. He was too busy staring at the staircase that ascended on two sides to despise more tests. He could have sworn Titus had walked around the corner, seen him, and done an about face.

As before, the marble floors transitioned into plush, creme-colored carpets that muffled Caleb's footsteps. Peggy led him down a hallway and stopped at the same door Rhea had a few weeks ago. They descended the stairs and at the door Rhea had used her hand to unlock, Peggy knocked. The door swung inward, allowing the two to walk in. Once again, Caleb got the distinct impression of walking into a hospital wing. As if he'd left behind the mansion and been transported somewhere else. Caleb's eyes twitched against the recessed, greenish lighting.

Peggy directed Caleb back to that stupid little room, and he knew he was in for a wait. Peggy confirmed this moments later. So Caleb sat, adjusting himself into the chair that felt far less comfortable than before. Whatever they would do couldn't be good. Caleb didn't want to do any more running or weight lifting—lazy as that made him. Minutes passed, silence became deafening, and then the door behind Caleb slid open again and a man with dark hair speckled with bits of gray walked in. He was tall, with broad shoulders and stormy-gray eyes. A smile broke out across his freckled, softly lined features when he saw Caleb, as if they were old friends. With strong deliberation, the man strode toward Caleb, and he shrank back. Salty-hair didn't seem to notice and instead shook Caleb's hand vigorously, enough so Caleb was standing by the end of the encounter.

"I'm Alexander Pendergast," he said, and Caleb found Alexander's voice to be just as pleasant—if a little frightening—as his smiling features. "You're so young."

Caleb might have responded with a sarcastic, "You're old," but that seemed a little rude. Instead, Caleb said, "I'm fifteen."

Alexander nodded, his eyes looking over Caleb with a probing sort of intensity. "Yeah—you're Caleb right?"

"Yes—yeah. Mhmm," Caleb replied. This was the third time someone had known him without introduction, and for some reason Alexander's knowledge of him squeezed at his heart. Something in Alexander set Caleb at ease, a weird sort of comfort from this total stranger. To look Alexander in the eyes—he was a foot taller than Caleb—he had to crane his neck. The topmost curls on Caleb's head barely added enough height for him to even reach Alexander's shoulders. "You are..." he trailed off, not sure whether he wanted to ask if the man was a giant or who he'd be studying with. Both were rather stupid questions, seeing as one was rude, and the other was obvious. Rhea James had said Alexander would be his teacher.

"I'm your mentor," Alexander replied. "The guy who'll teach you any- and everything there is to know about Timewalkers and Time Hopping and..." he waved his hand.

"Why do they call it Time Hopping?"

"Good lord." Alexander's expression was baffled. "They didn't tell you anything, did they?"

Caleb, who was standing up against the seat of the chair, took a step to the side. "I've pretty much been hijacked multiple times, told vague details, and then left in the dark for weeks. Apparently now I have to do more stuff? I've already proved I can pass through the Void, or whatever."

"They tend to leave me out when it comes to details, too," Alexander said, "But this should be pretty easy."

At that moment Peggy Landers was back, and with her strode Rhea James. Her hair was uncovered today, braided so well not a single hair escaped. It was long enough to rest at her waist. She smiled, that easy sort of smile that radiated warmth and set Caleb at ease. "She's still in perfect health, but that could—" Peggy had been saying.