Chapter Four

April 23rd of last year was better than today. Funny it was nearly a year later. Caleb had forgotten completely about the idea of tests and Estates while being crushed against the hordes of Museum Visitors wanting lattes and requesting cappuccinos with no foam—which made no sense at all--which Caleb grudgingly gave it to them since he didn't have time to explain they just wanted a latte. He'd been graciously gifted by the powers that be in the Museum corporate ladder, a closing partner.

Rachel. Though they hadn't talked at all other than calling out orders, the tension between them had been palpable. Even a Visitor had commented on the way Rachel scowled at him. "Your ex-girlfriend seems upset," the gray haired man had said with a bracing smile. Caleb hadn't had the chance to reply that he would never date someone so angry as Rachel, but the man had simply walked away without another word.

It was half-past way-too-late before Rachel and Caleb closed up shop and practically ran from the Museum, lest someone ask for anything. If Caleb had had the presence of mind, or a stronger gentlemanly tendency of walking a woman home at night, he might not have found himselfalone and vulnerable.

The Museum wasn't in the busiest part of the city, although it was the busiest establishment in the entire state. Once the doors closed, though, silence settled over everything. Tonight, however, it seemed as if the wind itself had gone to sleep. The city was eerily quiet. He wasn't sure if it was due to his late departure, but he was thoroughly chilled by it all. One of the street lamps flickered, which was odd in itself, since Caleb had never seen that happen before.

He was focused on its sputtering energy when two figures materialized in front of him, as if they were mist coming forth from the shadows. Caleb's heart stuttered at the sight. They walked toward him, and as they came into the glow of the sputtering streetlamp, Caleb realized the figures were two men in long trench coats. Their arms moved with the same graceful lilt as they walked, and their steps were both evenly gaited.

Was he going to be mugged? Nothing about them screamed danger; in fact, Caleb wondered if he were only looking at two highly sophisticated businessmen on an evening stroll. Then why did he feel as if a snake were slithering up his throat, constricting his breath? With every step they came closer and closer to him. Fifteen yards, ten yards. Until they were less than a foot away. "Caleb Carlisle?" the man on the right said. His voice was a high baritone, smooth and silky, and his lips spoke as if they were foreign syllables.

"Y-yes?" Caleb said as a tremble started in his hands. He would have preferred to have blamed it on the gentle breeze blowing through the streets, but it had more to do with fear that someone would know his name in the dead of night.

The other man smiled, and Caleb realized they were twins with high cheekbones and gentle, swooping eyebrows. "I'm Jacob Paulson." He gestured at the other man. "This is my brother John. We're here on business with her--" the man paused for a nearly imperceptible second--"for Rhea James."

Caleb's stomach swooped. "I'm sorry, but I already declined the offer." He made to go around Jacob but was stopped by a long, muscled arm. Jacob's hand glinted with the same ring that had been on Titus's right hand. A quick glance at John told Caleb he was wearing a similar ring.

"Unfortunately," John said, "it isn't an offer anymore." He sounded apologetic enough, but his face was dark and impassive.

Jacob gripped Caleb's bicep tight enough to send a numbing shock into his shoulder, and in that very instant, real fear lit in him. The entire world in front of Caleb blurred into a swirl of showering stars, as if the heavens had suddenly forgotten how to hold them. Heat flushed his cheeks, warming him all over. His heart constricted, and Jacob's grip grew even tighter.