• T W E L V E •

~ z a y n a ~

The rest of the week had gone normally. Well, except for Grace's daily insults and glares. Other than that school went back to normal, and so did my life. If you're wondering Ali and I are also back to the normal routine.

Avoiding each other at all costs.

It was currently the weekend, and I was finishing up the rest of the dishes, which I hate doing. Weekends were meant for relaxing, but in my mom's eyes, it meant more cleaning.

"Zayna, khalasty (are you done)?" My mom asked, walking into the kitchen and grabbing the broom.

"I have a little bit left," I answered, rinsing a plate.

"When you're done, fold the laundry," and with that, she walks out. Leaving me dreading the moment I got out of bed this morning.

~•~

"And I'm done," I put the last stack of clothes in Khalid's room.

"Thanks," he said, grabbing his clothes.

"You need to start folding your own clothes," I huff. "You're 20, Khalid."

He smirks, "now why would I fold my clothes when I have a lovely sister who folds them for me."

I glare at him, "only because mama says I have to. Otherwise, I wouldn't even touch it."

"Khalid! Come take out the trash!" I heard my mom yell from the kitchen. Khalid groans.

"Haha, have fun." I rushed out of his room. I put the laundry basket in the laundry room and walked towards the kitchen. "I'm done, mama. You want anything else?" Please say no, please say no.

"No, go do whatever you want," she said, and I sigh in relief.

"What are you cooking?" That was the moment I noticed the bag of okra on the counter.

"Bamya," she answered.

"No," I hear Hala complain from the living room.

"Don't complain, there are so many people who don't have food. Be grateful for what Allah gave you." She scolded.

"Mama we're grateful...but bamya?" I groan.

"I agree with Zayna," Hala said, appearing beside me. "Bamya?"

"I like bamya, mama," Basman comes out of nowhere.

"That's because you're a good boy, habibi (dear/love). Unlike your siblings." Basman grins at her and shuffles back to the tv. The little devil, he was complaining about it the other day.

"He's such a liar," I grumble.

"Don't talk about your brother like that."

"Mama..." I groan.

"Shh. I don't want to hear anything. Go pray." She said, turning back towards her cooking.

"Hader (yes ma'am)," I walk out of the kitchen and towards my room. On my way, Basman stuck his tongue out at me. I just huffed and went to perform ablution, knowing if I said anything to him, I would be the one to get in trouble. 

~•~

It was Monday morning, and I was putting my hijab on. I couldn't help but have a bad feeling about today. I can hear the rain outside, which lifted my mood a bit. Suddenly my phone started ringing. I grabbed it, and it was Nasreen. Weird.

"Hm?" I answer with the end of the pin between my lips.

"Good morning to you too," she sounded tired.