Alternate ending

TW's:
-Death (due to leukaemia)
-Absolute gross sadness
-Suicide

George's POV

I got weaker everyday, if I was honest then you could say my life was better if it would be over at this point. I had extreme pains, my bones were stinging the whole time, just if there were knives poking in them. Clay was with me everyday, I was glad he was with me so I didn't feel alone.

I was sleeping all day, I woke up crying my eyes out because of the pain. Chemotherapy didn't work at all anymore, nothing helped me. I was sick and I was dying. Clay had donated his stem cells, but the chance we were a match was just so low.

It was midday, I hadn't been eating in four days now. I only got fed through my tube sometimes. A few minutes after I got fed the doctor came in and he smiled softly, having a sad look in his eyes. I looked up at Clay and he held me even tighter than he already was doing.

'George, George's parents and Clay,' he started. 'I have really bad news,' he said quietly.

I looked up slowly and I grabbed Clay's hand.

'Clay wasn't a match for George,' he whispered with tears in his eyes. 'This means that we have no donor for you.'

My eyes widened and I bit my lip to fight against my tears.

'This means- that we can't do anything for George anymore and this also means that George will be passing away because of leukaemia.'

It was completely quiet and soon I heard Clay bursting into tears behind me. He held his cheek against mine and kissed me softly after. It didn't take long before my parents started crying too and I just laid there silently, knowing it would be over soon. I was feeling very weak, I was feeling terrible. My life was going to end quickly now, I could feel it coming.

Everyone sat around my bed, holding me tightly. I was just staring, I was seventeen and I would pass away. I was just seventeen, I had a whole life in front of me. Why did life have to treat me like this? I was just seventeen.

I rolled to my belly so I could see Clay sitting behind me and he tried smiling through his tears, although he hopelessly failed. 'I'm too young,' I whispered.

Clay just nodded and hugged me tightly. 'Can I be alone with him?' I whispered to my parents and the doctor. They nodded understanding and they stood up, leaving me alone with Clay. I rolled back to my back and I looked at Clay.

'For if it's over soon, Clay. Can you kiss me one last time?'

Clay had tears rolling down his face, he was pouting slightly and biting his lip at the same time. 'Okay, baby. I will,' he whispered.

'Can I touch your chest?' I whispered.

'Of course, sweetie. I will lock the door firstly and then I'll pull off my shirt so you can touch me.'

Clay stood up and he quickly locked the door so no one would suddenly walk in and he pulled off his shirt. I touched his chest softly and he smiled. 'I wish I could help you get better. I wish I could have saved you, forgive me. Forgive me, George. Forgive me for not saving you, please,' he whispered as his voice broke and he started crying even harder.

'There is nothing to forgive, you've done nothing wrong. You couldn't help me, that's not your fault.'

'I want to die instead of you,' Clay cried. 'I promise you George, I will always remember you. I will never forget you.'

'I will watch over you. Promise me to move on after I die.'

'I don't know if I can. You're the love of my life, honey. No one else will ever be like you, I will stay single forever, okay. Can I please stay single forever?'