2

TW's:
-None

Clay and I had slowly walked to the hall we had to be at and we were just in time to hear the principal reveal the teams. Clay and I sat next to each other and I was really excited but nervous. I was constantly wiping my sweating hands off on my trousers and Clay saw.

He giggled. 'Don't be nervous, Gogy. You're an amazing player and even if you don't get chosen, we can still play together.'

I nodded and out of all fear I was feeling, I grabbed Clay's hand. Clay smiled and he locked his fingers with mine, rubbing his thumb over the top of my hand.

'It will be fine, Gogy.'

I smiled at him and took a deep breath, looking up as one team before our class was called.

'Now it's our turn,' Clay said, holding my hand tightly.

'Then the last team which will be with the team captain, Clay.'

Clay was always the team captain, he already knew he would be and he was it every year.

'Clay, Caroline, Sapnap, Darryl, Zak, Niki, Luke, Hannah, Karl, Alex and-.' He paused a little because the last name was apparently on a different page. 'And last, George.'

My eyes widened and I jumped up, just as the other people now did who realised they had been chosen. 'Oh gosh, Georgie!' Clay yelled. 'I knew you would get chosen.'

I smiled and Clay hugged me tightly. 'I'm so happy,' I yelled.

'I bet you are, I'm so happy to have you in my team.'

I couldn't stop smiling and Clay held me tight. 'I'm so proud of you.'

The principal started talking again. 'The people who have been chosen for a team will have to practise tomorrow after school. Be prepared and we will all firstly come here to this hall again. If you didn't get chosen, you can just go home tomorrow after school.'

Clay looked at me again and smiled. 'I'm proud, Gogy. I knew you could do it!'

I smiled again and sat down after because I started feeling a little weaker. Clay sat down next to me and looked at me in concern. 'Are you alright, George?'

'Yes, it's nothing. I'm just tired.'

'But you haven't done a lot today.'

'I mean, we already had six classes before this and I was nervous the whole day for the teams.'

Clay nodded slightly. 'Okay, but if you're not okay, please tell me.'

'I'm okay, don't worry.'

Clay nodded and stood up again, lifting me up too. 'We can go home now, our classes are over.'

I nodded and grabbed my bag. 'Let's go.'

Clay and I lived pretty close to each other and we always went home together. Even if we had different classes, we would just wait the hour to go home together.

Clay and I walked towards our bikes and I grabbed mine, jumping on it. Clay did the same and we started cycling home, having Clay talk to me about whatever.

'By the way, Gogy. I'm actually so proud of you being in the team this year, you have been trying for a while now and I told you you were amazing.'

I smiled and looked at my hands shyly. 'That's so sweet, I don't think I'm that good, but I'm really happy to be on the team.'

Clay nodded. 'Same. Can I ask you something?'

'Of course.'

'Can I maybe go home with you? My parents aren't at home today and I hate being alone.'

I nodded. 'Oh sure, I bet my parents and aunt will be fine with that. We eat at each other's place most of the time anyway, so she wouldn't mind you coming over again.'

'Are you short of breath?' Clay suddenly asked.

I nodded a little. 'Why?'

'I don't know, you sound short of breath.'

'I'm cycling.'

Clay nodded slowly, but I saw that he didn't want to let the subject go. He didn't say anything about it anymore, but started talking about the tournament again, explaining to me exactly how everything worked.

I just listened to him and after fifteen more minutes we arrived at my place. We parked our bikes in the garden and I opened the door, walking into my house.

'Hey, sweetie!' my mum said happily as I entered. 'Hi, Clay!'

'Hello,' I said, kissing my mum's cheek shortly.

'Hi,' Clay said, pulling off his shoes. He let himself fall on the couch and rested his feet on the table. He was here so often that it felt like a second home for him. My parents treated him almost just as their own son and Clay could do anything he wanted. I sat down next to Clay, resting my feet on the table too and my mum smiled at us.

'How was school?'

'They made the teams for the tournament public,' I said happily.

'And?'

'Clay and I are both in it.'

'Oh, really? I'm so happy for you, honey. You deserve to be in there this year, you've been training so hard for it.'

I smiled. 'I'm happy too, I'm finally allowed to participate for once.'

My mum shortly tapped my shoulder and looked at Clay. 'You're the team captain as always?'

Clay nodded. 'Pretty epic too.'

'It is! I'm happy for both of you. Do you want something to drink?'

'I would like some water, if that's alright,' Clay said.

'Of course.'

'Same for me.'

My mum nodded and she walked to the kitchen. 'You know your aunt is coming today, George?'

'Yes, I'm excited to see her again.'

'She said she brought cake and dad is coming home from work earlier to also see her for a little.'

'Sounds good,' I said, looking at my mum walking back to the table. She put two glasses with water down and looked at me.

'Little tired, George?' she asked me.

I nodded. 'I was so stressed for days.'

'Because of the tournament?'

I nodded. 'But now I'm better. I'm so glad to be in the team.'

My mum nodded and Clay grabbed his drink. 'I'm proud of you, dude.'

1020 words