My silence caused Sophia to jab her elbow into my stomach.   Her face showed anger from my lack of response.   Well shit.

“Raine, this is all new to us and you are learning as well as us.   You have nothing to apologize for.”

I was still pissed and was trying to control my anger, so my words probably didn’t come off as forgiving as my mate wanted them to.   Hey I was trying give a guy some credit.  

 “Alpha, if I may speak freely, I wanted to clear up any confusion.   My bond with the Queen is nothing like your mate bond, so please do not feel threaten.   I do not feel any feelings or emotions the way you do.   The only feeling I get it like a warning signal when she is in danger.   That is our only connection.”

Well now I just felt like an immature ass.   Talk about being put in your place.   This day was not turning out like I wanted it to.   I was not used to apologizing ever and now I am finding the need to do it twice in 10 minutes.

“Thank you for the explanation Raine.   That has settled my wolf down.   Now mate can you please explain to us why the fates suddenly plucked you for this world?”

We all listened as my mate relayed everything that transpired on her journey to the fates.   She was still trying to process all that happened so it took her a while to finish.   My beautiful mate whom I love with everything I am is the Queen of the shifters, not just were-shifters, but all shifters.   On top of that she was also the mother Goddess of all…basically my mate was one powerful bad-ass.  

The fates were correct in their assumption.   It would take a great power to take down the Council.   After the discussions that Vlad and I have had, I never realized that things were this bad.   Like most, if the Council left you alone well you left them alone.   Since the start of this pack in my grandfather’s time we have never had to deal with the Council.  Something I am now coming to understand was a blessing.   Over the centuries, the Council have ruled with an iron fist, obliterating anyone that stood as a threat or in their way. 

Frankly it scared the shit out of me that my mate was now at the forefront of danger.   Once her secret was revealed a giant target would be printed on her back and the Council will come for her.   Apart of me was terrified in keeping her and Ella safe.   The other half was extremely proud to have such a strong woman for my mate.  

“Baby, the fates referenced your grandmother.  Do you know if she is still alive as she could shed some more light on all of this or at least help with controlling your powers?”

“No, my mother told me that my grandmother died when I was still a baby.”

“My Queen, is there any chance you remember her name?”

“Yes I do as Ella is named after her.  Her name was Isabella Mae Winters.”

Vlad and Raine both gasped as they started at my mate.  

“Sophia are you positive that that was your grandmother’s name?   100% positive?”

“Yes Vlad, I am sure, 100%.   Like I said, I named Ella after her, my mother and she were very close and I listened to stories about her my whole life.   Why have you heard of her before her death?”

Vlad and Raine shared a look before Vlad jumped up and walked behind the couch.  

“Yes, I have heard of her.   The thing is Sophia you were lied to…your grandmother is very much alive.”

My mate became really excited asking what he knew and where to find her and did he know why she was lied to.  The questions were rattled one after another.   Vlad just stared at her waiting for her to finish.   

“Vlad what aren’t you telling us?” Some thing was off.   Vlad wasn’t responding to my mate’s questions.     

Looking over at Raine one more time, his shoulders relaxed as he let out a sigh.   “Sophia I don’t know how to tell you this.   Your grandmother is indeed alive…but you do not want to meet with her.”

“What!  Vlad why would you say that.  She protected me by binding my powers, giving me the chance to grow.  Why would I not want to meet my grandmother? She is the only family I have left.”

“Because, if you ever do come face to face with her, it will not be the family reunion you are looking for.   If she shows up here it will be…to kill you…”