(17) Back Together

Start from the beginning

"Charlize?"
His voice was quiet and he could feel the salt water burning in his nose.
"Cliff?"

He waited for them to emerge from the water, to stick their head through the surface and swim back to the beach.

But nothing happened.

They were gone.

Instead a voice was getting louder and louder, sounding from some part of the ocean.

As it grew louder, he could actually hear what it was saying-

"Clay HELP ME! Clay! CLAY!"
The desperate voice of his best friend stabbed right through his heart.

"Nick! Nick, what are you- where are you?!" He ran towards the water, scanning the surface for a sign of anyone.

But nothing.

Silence.

The ocean was calm, the birds were chirping.

And Clay was alone.

"Is he moving?"

"I think I just saw something. He should be waking up."

"Did he seriously just fall?"

Clay opened his eyes.

His vision was blurry and his head throbbed.

He was not at the beach anymore.

He was laying in his bed in the servants' dormitory. The edge of his mattress had sunk due to a person that was sitting right next to him.

Another figure seemed to be standing a bit further away.

Clay rubbed his eyes but quickly stopped as he painfully felt his contacts.

He blinked several times and turned his head to finally see Darryl sitting on the edge of his bed, looking down at him with concern.

"Finally, Clay, how are you feeling?"

Clay groaned.
"My head…- what happened?"

"I found you laying on the floor near my office after I showed you the letter from the military. It looked like you fell and your head bumped into the wall. Coincidentally…-"

Darryl looked towards the person standing besided the bed.

"…Prince George was just passing by and he helped me carrying you here."

Only now Clay recognized George standing at the head of his bed, his arms crossed, looking uninterested.

Of course. The letter. Cliff. And Charlize.

A dull pain starting from his heart spread through his whole body.

I don't want them to be dead. They can't be. They just can't.

"This boy is always getting himself in trouble." George let out a joyless laugh. He was obviously reluctant with Darryl in the same room but Clay knew that deep down the Prince was concerned aswell. Why else would he be here?

"I read about your siblings in the latest files. I'm really sorry for your loss. I'm sure their service had a great impact on our nation."

Clay could feel anger rising up inside of him. Those were the exact same words as in the letter from the army.

The Prince continued.
"But before I leave I wanted to ask about your friend. I haven't heard about his death yet. He was taken the day we first met, right?"