Act 15: Silent whispers, and Silent tears

Start from the beginning

The next couple of days, they rode through the forest of Lothlórien towards Rivendell. Awarthrie spent her time alternately ignoring Legolas and Legolas acted in different. She could not bear thinking about the various possibilities for too long. If she should talk to him, or remain silent until they reach Imladris. Legolas turned out to be an ellon of even less words than she had first suspected. He barely spoke to her after her outburst. Honestly, she found that she did not mind all that much. However, there were times she wished they would talk; not the hours-long in-depth conversation, just him revealing what he knew about her mother and father.

- - -

On the banks of Anduin - 15 September 3018 TA

Awarthrie could not help but notice that his injury in his should appeared to be healing a lot faster than what she believed to be normal. She heard that elves healed faster, 'Lucky-pixies!' They camped next to the banks of Andruin, after the sun had set. They had left the mesmerizing forest of Lothlórien behind them. They would now travel north along the river Anduin until reaching Old Ford and from there they would turn west to the High Pass. The path that the elf was chosen to follow was unknown to her, but she believed he would select the one free from any harm and orc attack.

It was getting darker and the she-dwarf felt the cold breeze blowing against her, causing even the flames of the campfire to flick. She wrapped the blanket around her and kept staring at the fire, letting it warm of it reaching her. Legolas stepped closer and took a seat across her. His long hair was wet, and rested unbraid against his shoulders. He glanced at her briefly noticing her staring him.

"It has cooled down, however you should try clean yourself," there was a hint of impatience in his voice "You smell worse than an orc!"

The elf was finally speaking to her after a few days, and he had only to remind her how badly she smelled. "I will be fine, I don't like the cold water, and neither do I wish to end up sick!" she said shortly turning her gaze away from him.

Legolas looked her in disbelief "You might prefer the dirt, but it bothers me. You set out from the camp dirty and haven't clean since," he noticed while raising his brow slightly "What are you thinking!"

"Well, I prefer the dirt than the cold," she replied grumpily "You have just to get used to it!"

Legolas rested his blue eyes against her, his eyes not betraying any emotion "If it is consolation to you, you better take care of that smell before I do!"

"There is nothing to be done, I don't like the cold water!" she scowled at him, ignoring his wishes "That is your problem prince not mine! Deal with it!"

"Fine," Legolas said without any warning, he leaped to his feet and walked over to pick up the she-dwarf as she weighted nothing and threw her against his shoulder. She was taken by surprise and took her a moment to react. When her struggle followed it was too late and the elf had dropped her into the river. And his gaze rested against her smirking "Now take care of that smell!"

"Itdin darami!" [Wait a minute!] she yelled "Sallakhi, Bilal?" [You're joking, right]? Awarthrie glared at him astonished "Ug! The damn water is cold!" she complained and tried to swim off the water, but was pushed back into by the elf.

She cursed a few times, and then obeyed. Legolas turned his back and stepped away, letting her bath in the cold waters of the river Anduin. She believed he was enjoying this, there was a fading smile on his face and she bet anything that he enjoyed her misery bath. She ended punching the water in frustration, and won his attention once more.

"Stop playing, you will end up sick and it will delay our journey," he briefly glance back at her "Furthermore, it's better not to bath at night in Anduin."

She paused, her actions worried, "What?" she asked him and sprang out of the water and towards the small camp the elf had set. She stood in front of him, soaking wet, shivering and gazing at him.

Legolas hid a laugh behind his palm and threw at her towel "Go change to dry clothes," he ordered and watched her disappear behind a large tree. Only to appear a few moments later dressed into a clean attire, with her hair wrapped around the towel. She walked over and sat next to him near to the fire to warm her cold body.

Awarthrie remained silent for a few good moments. She turned and looked at him sighing. And the she told him. She spoke about everything, he had already guessed. About her father, and her mother, about the years they lived in Dale with the humans, about her confusion and frustration at being different. She told him of Nastedir, and how the Elvenking denied to aid them. She talked about her life under the mountain, how the dwarves accepted her and how her mother perished from this world.

Why she suddenly ended up telling him all this, frankly she didn't know, her sanity and stubbornness was obviously draining. After she was done, she stared at Legolas as she had just poured her heart and soul out to him, to her enemy, the same enemy she sworn she would hurt. The debate if she should trust him or not, had finished.

And trusted she did.

Legolas remained silent for so long, as he was in shock. What he had suspected was the truth. However the betrayal that came from Nastedir had astonished him. His best friend, the one who was suppose to care about Tauriel, had led her to her doom. He looked her in disbelief once more. That young troublemaker was the daughter of his trusted friend, and part of his kin.

Strangely, the Elf showed mercy and was gazing her differently. She tilted her head, confused "What?" she asked him "What have I done now?"

But it was already to late, Legolas had stepped next to her and pulled her up to a warm and tight hug. It happened so suddenly that it cost her to lose her balance and leaned against the elf. At first she struggled against his embrace, which she found strange. The ellon kept his strong arms wrapped around her holding her closer against his chest. Eventually, his warm and embraced felt like medicine to the stubborn she-dwarf and she surrendered.

That night she lost herself into the arms of the enemy, and before she knew it she couldn't stop her tears. Legolas didn't ask anything that night, neither did he comfort her with any words. He simply held Tauriel's daughter close to him, until she drifted asleep inside his arms. How could the arms of the enemy feel so right and secure, Awarthrie did not know.

However, it felt right. In this world, Legolas didn't leave her alone behind. Her memories couldn't ease her pain inside, now he knew why. In silent moments, now he was here, to shush her silent whispers, and silent tears.

Something did not feel right. It was quiet, too quiet for his liking. What if he found too late? He would never forgive himself if he would not know about Tauriel's daughter or worse. He forbade his thoughts to go any further and held closer the sleeping girl in his arms instead. Instinctively he tightened the grip around her as he would lose her. What brought him some peace, was that she had finally opened up to him and revealed her story.

Indeed, he had found some peace now, hasn't he? Then why would Glorfindel's voice keep repeating the same line again and again in his mind, as Legolas held Awarthrie inside his arm, 'Prince of the Woodland Realm I do believe you are attracted to her...'

(( Next Act:16  What the future holds))

Thank you for taking the time to read this! Feel free to Review - Follow - Favorite!