Chapter 14: Flower that Blooms in Death V

Start from the beginning

Silently thinking, I had to agree with her. Being here all this time working and serving Wang Ye as a spirit, I've been able to go where I pleased.

"I wonder why that is?"

Xiao Gui puts her hand over her mouth, closing her eyes to come up with an idea. "Ah! Maybe it's because the bead doesn't recognize you as an evil spirit or because of your protective nature, it knows you won't harm Wang Ye, so it allows you to move freely."

I want to believe her. Perhaps, it is that I'm... special?  That I also have my own way of being connected to Wang Ye. Believing this makes the heaviness in my chest lighter. 

Xiao Gui told me that Wang Ye had obligatory conversations with Crown Prince. He has not left yet. With the princess asking to spend time with Gui, I decide to leave them and go on my own. Xiao Gui pleads with her eyes, as if asking me to stay. I bow and take my leave anyways.

Smelling the scent of burning incense, I find my way to Xiao Bai's room. She had set up a small altar with some fresh food and fruits. I'm shocked. How can she afford to spend money like this on a maid's salary? Reading the name on the plaque, I finally notice that its mine. My heart tightens with admiration and sorrow. She wanted to make some offerings to me, a soul no one remembers. She really treasured someone like me...

It feels weird to eat the food in front of an altar. When I was human that was just something you don't do, but now I am a spirit and the offering was made for me. I take a bite of the red apple, swallowing the sour taste. It's been so long since I've had food that I just realized how hungry I was.

Walking to the front entrance, Xiao Gui is nervously twiddling her thumbs and dragging her feet.

"Are you OK, Xiao Gui?" I ask, floating beside her.

"Today is the first day of the Hungry Ghost Festival month. I'm just a bit unprepared mentally."

Yes, it is the first day the city is celebrating the Hungry Ghost Festival. It is one of the biggest celebrations annually. Yu Mian is a rather superstitious city while Wang Ye is indifferent to the festival each year. Around this time, it is said the gates of hell are opened. Ghosts are more aggressive, seeking to satisfy their hunger or vengeance. 

"How do you normally cope with the month?"

"When I lived with Master, we didn't conform to such celebrations. Our home was protected by Master's essence. I didn't have to experience a flood of ghostly presence."

"Don't worry. Wang Ye will protect you... I'm here too." I reassure her, hiding my true feelings. Having run into lost souls at the temple, I can't say I've completely gotten over how horrifying they look. However, the hearts of some humans have proven to be more frightening.

Crown Prince has never partaken in the celebration of Hungry Ghost Festival in our city. Thus being a courteous host, Wang Ye is bringing them both to the popular theater house for a performance this evening. Xiao Gui is invited along, despite being less than enthused. Without any plans, I decide to go as well. 

Seated on the second floor balcony, the waiters serve the best food and drinks. The play was just about to start. It's my first time ever entering the establishment. Someone as poor and with a low status like me could never enter such a place when I was alive. Standing in between Wang Ye and Xiao Gui, we keep our eyes on the stage below. I hear Xiao Gui whispering to me and turn to her. 

"What is it?" 

"Are you hungry? I set aside some chicken and treats for you." She points to the plate next to hers. 

She is really kind when she wants to be...

"Oh, thank you." I gently grab the chicken drumstick and take a bite. The delicious texture, the aroma of spice, it tastes fancy and expensive. A taste I was never blessed with in life.