Chapter One

Friday 5th May
"Are you ready Y/N?"
"Ready as i'll ever be Nat."

The mission was simple: "exterminate all malfunctioning hybrid life in New York." That's what Fury said, at least. We stand back to back. Me and my Russian spy, Natasha Romanoff. She, dressed in black, mirrors my movement. We shoot at our targets, not missing a single beat to the unheard rhythm and harmony in our minds. Friendship? Partnership? Love?
Fuck. Friendship. Did I just friendzone myself in an imaginary relationship with a gorgeous redheaded woman? Yes, yes I did. I have never felt like this with anyone before. I have worked with her for three years now. Surely, if she feels the same, she would have said by now.
She flips through the air and slams her heel into the face of a lizard/cyborg hybrid, smashing the brains and splattering them everywhere. "Shit," she yells to me "I've got blood all over these new boots you bought me."
Frustratedly, she gestures to her shoes. They are a black vegan leather (ironic now, i'm aware), with two thin orange stripes down the outside, to compliment her hair.
"I'll scrub them clean myself Nat, don't you worry!" I yell back half jokingly.
"Very good!" she turns to face me whilst laughing and seamlessly plunges a blade into the eye socket of another hybrid.
We continue butchering the creatures, slowly but surely nearing to the end of the battle.
"Come on, let's bring them down." I slice the throat of the closest lizard and blood sprays onto my torso. "Ah, shit. Well, that's disgusting."
"Oh, we'll bring them down, alright!" She turns to taunt me and laughs at my disgust.
"Ha, how do you like it?!" She smirks.
Hidden from her view, a creature darts toward her.
A sudden jolt of fear. "Look out!" She smiles to reassure me.
"I've got it."
She stamps her foot onto the edge of a pole on the ground, amongst the rubble and destruction. The hybrid leaps forward, jaw open, ready to sink it's teeth into the prey. The pole flings up into the air, Nat jumps to catch it and slams it down into the open mouth of the creature, impaling it from the inside.
She smirks again.
I look around, the ground scattered with the corpses of our enemies. We have completed our mission.
"We did it Nat." I whisper, breathless from the sudden fight or flight situation.
"Yeah, we did." Nat looks around at the mess we made. "I pity the guy who's cleaning up after us." She runs her hand through her ginger hair. "We make a pretty good team, huh?" I say.
"Hell yeah, we definitely do." She replies.
Her smile is so captivating. I feel myself losing control of my mouth. These loose lips of my mine.
" Nat, there's something I..."
Shit. What's wrong with me?
"What is it Y/N?" Her green eyes grip me, i'm stuck in a state of limbo. They remind me of the richness of the earth, the sweetness of the cocoa bean. So dark, yet luminous. Like the Eclipse and the Sun had a love affair and there behold, the beauteous result in her eyes. I'm not a fucking poet. By Gods, this is what you do to me Romanoff. I sound like such an idiot.
"There's something I've been meaning to tell you." I panic and lean in to kiss her. But her eyes harden, she pushes me back. Oh Gods, what have I done. "What are you doing?" she whispers, but it feels like a thousand daggers piercing me. My heart sinks. Please no, what have I done...
Bruce walks over to us slowly and calls out. "Are you two okay?" He can feel the tension in the air, I just know it.
One of my best friends in the whole world, my Greeny, looks at me with sympathy. I feel like I'm going to be sick. I wish this would stop. Why did I have to say anything. WHY?
"We're fine thanks Bruce." Natasha's green eyes meet mine again, but this time it's different. I can feel mine watering, slightly clouding my vision. Her orange and black silhouette blurs. I can barely make out her exit, as she pivots on her heel and walks away. "Wait.." I can barely get my words out, they become stuck in my throat. I can't bare to see her. I squeeze my eyes tightly shut and push my hands up to my face.
Bruce places his hand on my shoulder. "Hey, is something going on between you and Natasha?"