24.

Deep throat singing came from all around her. The voices going in and out at all different times. The rhythm was scary and hypnotic.

"Am I supposed to be sleepy?" Azzalea asked, looking around to no one.

The thick smoke filled the hut she laid in making her unable to see. It stung her throat and eyes. Azzalea coughed. Her entire mouth felt like cotton.

She trusted River. He had stripped her to nothing inside this strange hut and laid her in this bird nest looking bed. She found the way the twigs were interlaced fascinating. It must've taken someone a lot of time.

Azzalea had wanted to sit up. But he insisted she lay down and kept putting his hand on her belly, grunting and looking awfully concerned.

"I love you." He whispered to her. He wrapped what Azzalea thought was thin gold chains around her shoulders, cascading down her chest and over her breasts. Then proceeded to cover her with a thin layer of dried moss.

It felt weird to have the dried stuff on her body.

"I love you." She whispered back.

There was nothing in this hut. Azzalea felt like she had been presented to the head guy like a present. River had bathed her the night before and put jeweled clips in her hair.

There was a brief moment of silence and then the head Bigfoot had spoke. Whatever he had said, River bowed and looked to her smiling. It must've been something good.

She almost started to panic as the weird smelling smoke started rolling into the tiny hut she laid in. "River?" Azzalea looked around.

The singing increased as the smoke got thicker and thicker. The gray clouds kept rolling in from somewhere, not letting up for anything.

The chanting sounds like they were saying the vowel letters over and over again, in different rhythms and deep tones.

The sound of a drum came from nowhere. It sounds like one of those bass drums Azzalea would hear in the marching bands at parades.

Boom.

Boom.

Boom. Boom. Boom.

The chanting sounded like A and E, both sounding at the same time, but by different people. The tones going in and out, quicker and quicker.

Boom.

"River?"

Azzalea's heart was speeding up quicker than she liked. Surely this smoke is not good for the baby.

The A's and E's continued but a random Oooooo, came in and out.

Boom.

Bada boom.

Boom.

Sounded like someone had hit drum sticks together.

Azzalea was done. She was ready to get out of there. She tried to set up, but something was weighing her down. She felt like the moss was now a net, tied to the ground to hold her in place.

Boom.

Bada boom.

The clash of symbols.

Aaaaa, e, aaaa, oo, oo

Bada Boom.

Crash.

Sticks smacking together.

Azzalea couldn't breathe. The smoke was too thick. She could fill it in her chest. "River!"