DAY 3 - Thursday

In the morning Sam is sitting at the small table in her room with dark circles under her eyes. She got no sleep. There's a knock on the door and she doesn't look up.

"What!" She lost count of how many times her door had rattled or been knocked on through the night, and the banging from the next room had stopped on and off, only to start up again.

"Room service." She raises an eyebrow, because this motel doesn't have room service. She groans and goes to the door, and looks out the peep-hole and sees only a shirt.

"There is no room service." She says through the door.

"But I still have what you ordered." She steps back, sighs, then opens the door without taking the slider lock off, and Noah peers through.

"And what did I order?" She asks, making no attempt to open the door further.

"Me." He smiles at her and Sam narrows her eyes. "And a ride to your new accommodation." Sam keeps looking at him

"Okay." She takes the slider lock off the door and opens it.

"You had a good night then?"

"The best." Sam turns and picks her bag up, "I was by myself, because my drunk old roommate didn't manage to get in, although he did try. Every 10 minutes. All night." Sam says.

"You must have been lonely." Noah comments, taking her bags.

"You would think that, but no, because it's like this wall didn't exist last night." And she bangs on the offending wall, mimicking the bangs from the night before. "Again, all night."

"If you're really nice to me, I might buy you breakfast and coffee to make you feel better."

"I can buy my own. But I will be nice to you if you get me out of here." Noah laughs.

"Come on then." Sam walks out the door then hangs a right.

"I just gotta take the key back." Noah heads to the car with her bag.

In the motel office, the man behind the desk gives her a look when she asks for a refund.

"No refunds sorry."

"I paid for a week. And I've only used the room two nights."

"But you booked the room for a week. So we had to turn other guests away."

"But now you can accept them because I won't be here for the remainder of the booking."

"But you booked the room so there's nothing I can do." Sam closes her eyes.

"I want my money back."

"There a problem?" Sam turns and Noah's standing in the doorway.

"Yeah, this guy is not giving my money back for the five nights I'm not going to stay here."

"Is that right..." Noah gives the man behind the counter a look, and the look is full of menace.

"Fine." The man opens the till and counts out some money then throws it on the counter. Noah scoops it up before Sam can and counts through it again.

"You're short." The man behind the counter trembles and counts more money and hands it over. Noah smiles and hands the money over to Sam.

In the car Sam hands most of it back.

"For letting me stay."

"This is too much."

"I don't know that I would have got any of it back if you hadn't been there, think of the extra as your thug fee for getting the money back." Sam sinks into the passenger seat, relieved and Noah starts driving. "I am so tired. I don't think I can even function properly."